Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Snowy Turkey Hunt

My wife and I were very luck to draw 2 early season tags. This was going to be a very different hunt for both of us. Initially I didn’t think I was going to be able to help my wife or hunt myself, because a month before the hunt I broke my leg and severely sprained my ankle. Thankfully by the time the hunt came around I was able to walk in a walking boot. Since we didn’t know how much walking I was going to be able to do we enlisted help from one of my very good friends, Larry.

Saturday morning started out with an early buzz of the alarm clockL We were on the road quickly and headed to our spot with plenty of time. So we thought! After a short drive we were surrounded by some very dense fog. This lasted for 30 miles. By the time we got into our hunting area it was way past first light. I was really bummed, because I really wanted to find some roosted birds. We then proceeded to miss our turn to our honey hole. I finally decided to pull over and start where we were. I knew this was a gamble, but I also knew there were Turkey’s in this general area.

Larry and my wife went one way and I went the other. We made plans to meet back at the truck in 2 hours. After a short walk Larry and my wife were hearing gobbles. They tried to call 3-4 different birds in the next 2 hours with no success. The birds would gobble 1-2 times and then go silent. I was able to find a water hole about ½ miles from the truck with a lot of fresh sign. I put out my decoys and started calling. After a few minutes I had a bird responding. I got really excited, because he responded 4-5 times. That was short lived, because he eventually became silent and after an hour he never came into the water hole. I walked around calling for another hour, but no luck.

I was the first one back at the truck. While I was sitting at the tail gate eating breakfast I saw 2 Tom’s cross the road about 100 yards away. I made a big loop to get in front of them. I called several times, but no luck! Nobody wanted to play with me!

After we all met up we decided to head to our honey whole area. We again split up and made plans to meet in 3 hours. During this time Larry and my wife didn’t hear or see anything. I found another water hole to sit at. I had another bird responding to my calls after only sitting the water for 5 minutes. This bird sounded really hot! I decided to leave the area and go find my wife so she could have a chance at him. After finding Larry and my wife we headed back to the water hole with high hopes of getting this bird.

As we arrived back at the water hole I started calling while my wife found a nice place to pee! Larry and I were about 100 yards away trying a few hen yelps. We were only a few yelps into our 2nd calling sequence when I heard my wife start SCREAMING! I FOUND A HORN! I FOUND A SHED! O MY GOD, IT’S A WHOLE HEAD!!!!! We look over her direction and we see here running around the water hole carrying a 5x6 Elk head. When she got to us she was almost crying she was so happy! In fact she said “I’m so happy I want to cry”. My wife LOVES, LOVES, LOVES shed hunting. This was the first dead head she has ever found. This alone was worth the trip!

After taking some pictures and calming down we did some more calling with no luck. We then decided to sit the water hole for the rest of the day. That SUCKED!!!!!! We were all really bored and tired. We stayed until the rain, hail and lightning drove us out. We headed back to the cabin for Dinner. I thought the drive back would be clear, but I was wrong. We again encountered dense fog & a lot of snow.

The next morning we were concerned the conditions would not be very good. We were right. It was windy, foggy and snowing. My wife had a bad head ache from the day before and decided to not go out. She was the only smart one in the groupJ Larry and I decided to head back to the water hole and do a little calling and pick up my blind. We didn’t have very high hopes, but we had to give it a try.

The ground had about 3-5 inches of snow. That combined with dense fog and snow made the drive a lot longer than expected. A short time into our drive we encountered 2 guys stuck in the middle of the road towing a pop up trailer. Unbelievably the guy only had 2 wheel drive. Thankfully I had a rope and we were able to help them out.

A short time later we were owl hooting our first spot. Nothing! Thank God, because it was really coldJ we stopped 2 more times trying to find a roosted bird. On the second stop we had a bird respond instantly! He sounded really hot! We parked the truck and got set up. I asked Larry to do all the calling. Larry has never called in a bird before. I was really wanting him to experience calling in a bird. I got set up with Larry about 30 yards behind me.

Larry started off doing some light yelping. The bird responded to it instantly. We both got really, really excited! A few more calls and again “Gobble, Gobble, Gobble”. I was really hoping the bird would not get silent when he got off the roost. The sky was just starting to get light out. You could tell it was just about time for him to fly off his roost. Well an hour later and the sun was up and the bird was still in his roost. In fact he was still talking to every noise in the woods. Every time a squirrel would make a noise he would gobble. A care would drive by and he would gobble. Larry would yelp, he would gobble. It was very exciting, but my butt was FREEZING! I was praying for this stupid bird to either shut up and go away or fly down and come to us. I would have been ok with either one.

Thankfully at 7:35 I could hear him fly out of the tree. As soon as he hit the ground Larry called. He answered immediately. Larry called a few more times with no response. I was getting disappointed, but I was also dreaming of a nice warm truck seat. Thankfully the bird started slowly responding. In the fog I could see the bird slowly making his way down the hill. He would gobble once in a while, but he was mostly coming in silent. I waited for him to get into a spot that I THOUGTH was close enough. I was wrong! My first shot hit the bird low. The bird started running to my right down the hill. I got another shot and saw the bird stumble into a log jam. This is when it got interesting. I want you to imagine a freezing guy in a walking leg boot who has been frozen to the ground for an hour. Now imagine him trying to get up quickly and re-load. This was anything but smooth and graceful! Then I had to HOBBLE up the hill to get another shot at the bird. As I was HOBBLING up the hill I was ripping off my gloves, hat and face mask so I could re load the gun. As Larry and I got to the last place we saw the bird I saw him get up and start running. One more shot from an expert shooter and he was downJ High fives and hugs started instantly! We were both very excited!

Here is another interesting part. As we were setting up the bird for pictures I discovered some of the bird’s tail feathers had frozen together! I’ve never seen this before. This was also the ugliest bird I have ever seen. He looked like a wet rat! I’ve always wondered what the birds would do it this type of weather. I thought they would come down and huddle under a tree for cover. Apparently not!

This was the first bird Larry has every called in and my first bird taken in the snow, fog, rain and hail. Very exciting hunt!

Thanks again to my wife and to Larry for helping me take this bird.

post-1205-0-37797200-1430265213_thumb.jpeg

post-1205-0-60186400-1430265236_thumb.jpeg

post-1205-0-06120600-1430265255_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-93488100-1430265272_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-11390100-1430265291_thumb.jpeg

post-1205-0-66323200-1430265308_thumb.jpeg

• Like 15

Great write up .... Great find for your wife and Way to keep going and tag out even with that walking cast on your leg ! A lot of times it pays to get out of the warm truck in nasty weather....

Great job man!! You are tougher than I! I would've been in the truck ;) I'm glad you said it first; that is the ugliest turkey I've ever seen! Haha It's a bummer what rain and snow will do to such a pretty animal. But hey, its a turkey and a story you'll never forget. Congrats!

• Like 1

You sure that isn't a "Turkey Vulture"... ;) Just kidding. Way to go and your wife has a smile a mile long.

• Like 1

Great write up and congrats on a nice bird. You certainly had an eventful hunt for sure. Way to stick it out. Congrats to the wife for her find and kudos to Larry on his calling. :)

TJ

Sounds like it happened just the way a tough bird should be earned! Congratulations Adam for your persistence and perseverance! Speaking of tough ol' birds, how did a big boy like you suffer a broken leg?

Congrats Adam on your hobble gobble turkey. Sweet pictures and a real nice dead head your wife found. Also I thought u were at least complaining about reloading a semi auto in the cold with no gloves but come on an over and under is as easy as it gets.

• Like 1

Way to stick it out I have heard you cant call birds in in those type of conditions so much for that theory congrats on your bird and perseverance. Nice find by your wife also

Awesome job Adam! Just as crazy of a hunt like the Wyoming antelope hunt!! :).

• Like 1