brian390

Good luck 2nd season turkey hunters

With second season starting tomorrow I want to wish all of the tag holders luck. It looks like the lucky hunters that have tags will have decent weather conditions with moderate to light wind. No tag for me this year so it's good to see success photos to keep me going. I might go out with a friend that has a second season tag, and I will definitely let you know how the hunt goes if I get to go.

Anyway, did any 1st season tag holders happen to bag a gobbler since Monday? There has been very little wind this week especially Tuesday and Wednesday.

Brian390, I killed a gobbler yesterday, Wednesday. I endured rain and snow during the first part of the hunt. Birds were very vocal and responsive in the roost and they shut up all day long after they hit the ground. I didn't hunt Monday or Tuesday but from what I heard Tuesday was still a bit rainy and windy. Wednesday was perfect. The sky was clear, no wind and a crisp 25 degrees! It was perfect! The majority of vocal birds that we ran into had hens with them which made it difficult for them to commit! Wednesday I had more of the same on the roost but mid to late morning the toms would still gobble. I hadn't experienced this at all on this hunt until yesterday. I think the second season guys will be in good shape! I will be out with a friend during that hunt. I'm hopeful he will kill his first bird. Good luck to everyone

• Like 1

Toms are gobbling on kaibab roads are clear everything I've seen has had hens with them. Wind is definitely picking up so it was time to quit scouting and eat lunch.

I disagree with this post! ha ha. We had rain sleet and snow on the first weekend, I gotta go back up to 23 on the 8th for a second chance. :-) Hopefully no one nabs my gobbler I tried for 3 days on. Wouldn't really cooperate until Monday when the weather finally turned decent and warmed up to about 70.

So maybe some of the more seasoned hunters can answer this.... Only read about gobblers calling out in the morning and until mid day. We were packing camp up at around4. At 5, we heard a tom call out. We just shook our heads and figured it was taunting us. After 2 hours of packing everything up and cleaning mud from everything, we were enjoying the last of camp before turning the key to go home. Right at 6pm, the gobbler was calling out again. We grabbed a call to see if we should dig the guns out again, but he wouldn't respond.

Yep, it's looking like the weather should be almost perfect for us this weekend. Heading up to 6A this evening. Can't wait.

• Like 1

Seen many birds killed mid to late day. I hunt all day. Its a long day but I take a nap against a tre e and yelp every time i wake up. Hang in there. And yes it gets frustrating when they hang up...........BOB!

• Like 2

Seen many birds killed mid to late day. I hunt all day. Its a long day but I take a nap against a tre e and yelp every time i wake up. Hang in there. And yes it gets frustrating when they hang up...........BOB!

Yep, we've called as many birds in between 10-5 as any other time in the morning.

Brian

• Like 2

I hunted NM and killed a bird who came in hot and in a hurry at 4. I personally love from 9AM through the rest of the day. Let those toms do their business in the morning and search for lonely hens the rest of the day.

• Like 2

AZTB5, Congrats on your bird. It can sometimes be better hunting during the week with less hunters out and possible better conditions. My buddy was scouting on Tuesday morning and he had them gobbling in multiple locations. In Flag on Tuesday and Wedneseday it was really calm though. It may have been different where you were though. It's now looking like a rain storm for the turkey hunters on Monday and Tuesday.

We filled two tags on the second hunt. First one was killed day 1 in the afternoon. Set up a blind and decoy in a known travel route, called in a hen and a Tom at 5 and my wife had her fist ever bird! Went out to locate in the eve and found a few. Set up on them in the morn and my buddies son had his first turkey before the sun hit the ground. Awesome hunt! Birds were gobbling pretty good too!

That's awesome. Looks like weather could be crappy again this weekend.

Where you headed? weather looks beautiful Saturday, Sunday in payson