apache12

Used atv advice

So after years of beating up my truck and hiking into my spots I'm looking to add a quad to the garage

Don't have the funds yet but looking to buy used in the 2500 to 3000 range

Does anyone have any advice on what to avoid or look for?

Like sportsman or Foreman or how are can am or grizzly

How important is carb or efi if I hunt up north?

4x4 seems like a must

How many hours or miles should I stay away from

I'm 6' 215. So can I get by with a 450cc.

I'm sure I'm a couple months away from a purchase as I squirrel away the cash but thanks for any thoughts

• Like 1

Good post - wish I could help but also seeking same advice you are... may be interested in next few months.

• Like 1

Critter let me know what you learn over the next few weeks

Check your dealers to see if they have any previous years model. Nothing wrong with buying a used one but I found this on craigslist in Albuquerque.

New 2013 Arctic Cat 400 - $4299 (4850 Pan Am Frwy NE, Albuquerque, NM)
00a0a_2qURQHh3GLI_600x450.jpg

New 2013 Arctic Cat 400 4WD

Also since this is from a dealer you will probably be able to put down your cash or finance it. Probably under warranty too.

I've ran Hondas for years, they are great machines! I would lean toward getting a fuel injected model but the carbureted versions work great as well. 3 of mine are carbureted and one is fuel injected. I have Rubicon and Rincon, the Rincon has the independent rear suspension which I really like. The Rubicon has a transmission I really like but not independent rear suspension.

I've never used one, but a few years back a friend had a couple with carburetors. We were on the rim around 6500 feet elevation, and they were a problem getting started in the morning and stalling out. If I were looking to buy and hunting at elevation, I would only get fuel injected.

i bought a honda last november and used it on one hunt so far, went into some nasty roads and never used the 4x4, i bought it 4x4 because is a piece of mind but so far never used it.

agreed with firstcoues hondas are fantastic.

Honda Rincon is bullet proof. Direct drive and no belt worries. You won't end up stranded 50 miles from no where. I have put 9,000+ off road hard ride miles on mine. I change jets for Colorado. Riding in AZ never a problem from desert to Flagstaff and in between using the same jet. Take care of your machine (most don't they just think they do) change the oil/filter on schedule, service the air filter and do a meticulous inspection after each ride. Stay away from dealers service departments.

Growing up I rode a Honda ATC (three wheeler). After college I bought a Yamaha Raptor. Later I went with a Honda Rancher, then a Polaris Sportsman. I currently own a Polaris Ranger Crew.

All were great machines for their specific purpose. For reliability it is really hard to beat Honda. They tend to be less fancy, but they just run and run and run.

I will say that I have driven in just about every terrain out there in my quads and have yet to get myself in a situation that I needed 4x4 to get out of. So don't discount a good deal on a 4x2.

You can get a good used honda rancher for $2500-3500 if you watch. I would stay away from the electric shift if you can. They are still good but just more stuff to break. They started fuel injecting them in 2005. I would get a FI model for sure. If you can find a 2005 or newer foot shift rancher in 4x4 buy it and it will last you the rest of your life.

+1 on all the honda comments. i have an '05 foreman 4x4 manual shift,carb. i've never had to deal with re-jetting. i've put on a lot of mile from the desert to 9,000 ft with no starting/running issues. i think they started the fuel inj on the foreman in '06. the 475 cc on the foreman is probably more than you'll ever need-i can reach 55mph (indicated) down here pretty easily. 45 at altitude, about 100 miles per tank