Hey, everyone! Just got a new truck! 2014 Chevy Silverado LT 4x4. I see on the window it says FlexFuel E85 Ethanol. Do any of you run this stuff? Any benefit?

I don't know if I have ever been to a gas station that sells it down here. I know up in Idaho where I am from 85 is the regular low grade. I have the Silverado with the 6.2 and it was fine. But it was also only a few tanks of gas.

It is cheaper over here in N Peoria. I think it is $2.19

Right! I saw that! Price is looking good. Just wondering if you get better gas mileage with it or if it is better for my truck. I have the 5.3 v8.

The only place I know that sells it is chevron.

From What I know, your mileage will go down between 20-30%. Atleast this was the case with the previous e85 capable vehicles. I have not heard of any big improvements on the newer vehicles to change the MPG. I say you do a test and give us the results.

• Like 5

If the price difference isn't around 40 cents or more than don't bother. You get less mpg. If e85 is more than 40 cents cheaper then it's benificial.

Gasoline energy density 114x10^3 BTU/gallon

E85 energy density 81.8x10^3 BTU/gallon

28.25% less energy dense. Huntharder was pretty spot on with a minimum margin of error.

• Like 1

From What I know, your mileage will go down between 20-30%. Atleast this was the case with the previous e85 capable vehicles. I have not heard of any big improvements on the newer vehicles to change the MPG. I say you do a test and give us the results.

I might have to do this. It is around .40 cheaper a gallon. Right now I am averaging like 17.5 mpg using gasoline.

I also heard from the dealership that you get more HP with the e85. Not sure if this is true or not.

Please post results if you run that test..... Thanks

Will do. Gotta run my tank dry first though, haha.

Ive had my 2014 silverado lt 4x for A year and a half. E85 has less mileage. More horse power. Most times Less expensive. I find I burn through the tank quicker than with gasoline. I average around 18/19 mpg. Now that gas is going up ill probably be putting more e85 in it.

• Like 1

Ive had my 2014 silverado lt 4x for A year and a half. E85 has less mileage. More horse power. Most times Less expensive. I find I burn through the tank quicker than with gasoline. I average around 18/19 mpg. Now that gas is going up ill probably be putting more e85 in it.

Are you averaging 18/19 with gasoline or e85?