Sign in to follow this  
yumabowhunter

NM Rifle Bull

It's been a long time since I got to carry a rifle during an elk hunt. I drew a 16A tag that goes from 10/17 - 10/21. I'm really excited.

Just curious if any one has had this tag the last couple year? Also, how has the rain and early feed been this spring?

Wow! Should be a great hunt! Didn't this unit burn last year or the year before...? Might get the boom on antler growth from the great feed and nutrients. Awesome tag to have.... I will be in a unit with a muzzleloader during the same time.

I think it was 16b that mostly burned a couple yrs ago. I've heard great things about A. I've bowhunted 16c but 16a is supposed to be better hunt

Should be good! The 1st firearm hunts this year fell 4 or 5 days later then last year due to the calendar this year so I put in for bow. If you find a bull on cows kill him opening day for sure as he's gonna pull off the cows the second he gets pressured. You'll probably see a lot of 250-300 bulls running the cows during that hunt, don't let it discourage you as the big bulls are there they're just off on the fringes waiting for cows to go back in heat.

• Like 1

I appreciate the info. Thanks

Planning on spending a lot of time learning the unit through the summer.