5guyshunting

merriams or rio grande

I killed this bird in New Mexico a few years back. Is it merriams or rio. I cant figure out the difference. Thankspost-8438-0-38876500-1430874307_thumb.jpgpost-8438-0-14472500-1430874357_thumb.jpgpost-8438-0-40586400-1430874404_thumb.jpg

Merriams I would say judging by the tips of the fan feathers. Sometimes those tips get dirty making them look light brown. I know if you cleaned them, they would come out bright white. I am no expert though. Nice mount

• Like 3

looks to be Merriam's the big question is where was this bird taken in New Mexico?

looks to be Merriam's the big question is where was this bird taken in New Mexico?

West of reserve, not far from 27

most definitely Merriam's.

• Like 2

most definitely Merriam's.

+1

Nice job 5 guys! I am still hunting them till the 20th this month. I saw a wolf on Saturday on the outskirts of Luna. Dane wolves

• Like 1

I did not know NM has Rio's. Are they a draw or OTC?

I did not know NM has Rio's. Are they a draw or OTC?

I went with friends, they said rio grande for NM. The tags were over the counter x2 , I just wanted to see what species it was. They told me rio grande, I wasnt sure. I have another from 6a and they look the same

Most of New Mex. is Merriams ,as is this bird. Nice job..........BOB!

• Like 1

I Went out today . 30-40 mph winds no strutting birds. So I come home strutting and Mamma's allready asleep. Bad day and nite.. Guess IL'L go back to work tomm. nite at least i will make money...........BOB!

• Like 2

NM does have Rio Grande's, but they have a limited range. They are native to the Canadian river drainage in the NE part of the state. There are also some in the Pecos river drainage south of Santa Rosa and in the Hondo valley west of Roswell. I'm not sure they are native there. There is also some in the Rio Grande valley that were transplanted years ago. All these areas are OTC.

I was lucky enough to take my first NM Rio this year. Been trying to get one for the past 5 years. Super happy to get him.

100_1783_zpsdru9tr4z.jpg[/url]

Travis

• Like 3

NM does have Rio Grande's, but they have a limited range. They are native to the Canadian river drainage in the NE part of the state. There are also some in the Pecos river drainage south of Santa Rosa and in the Hondo valley west of Roswell. I'm not sure they are native there. There is also some in the Rio Grande valley that were transplanted years ago. All these areas are OTC.

I was lucky enough to take my first NM Rio this year. Been trying to get one for the past 5 years. Super happy to get him.

100_1783_zpsdru9tr4z.jpg[/url]

Travis

Thanks for the info. Congrats on a nice bird!

I dunno that there are to many areas where they aren't crossbread. I've heard that here in the Dakota's we have merriams, rios, and easterns. I've shot easterns and merriams out of the same flock before so I know they are all hybridized. Kinda like people I guess!

• Like 1