Sign in to follow this  
Coach

.22 LR

Years back, .22LR ammo was available in every sporting goods store, big-box store, hardware store, even gas stations.

It was the most prolific, inexpensive, readily available ammo anywhere. $20 bricks (500 rounds) was pretty standard.

Somehow, after Sandy Hook, it just mysteriously vanished. Some said it was just pure demand, but at the same time I heard reports that CCI, Federal and others were pumping out millions of rounds per week. It's only the hoarders who are keeping the supply low.

Here we are years later. No national emergency. .223 can be had for around 24 cents per round, 7.62x39 even cheaper. There's still no .22 LR to be found.

Cabela's, Wal Mart, Midway USA, get only a few now and again. So if it's just a few hoarders, where are all these millions of .22 LR going? My local Wal Mart had to make a sign that says "We have no .22 LR ammo".

That sign has been there 2 years or more now.

If the big box stores and major outlets aren't even getting it in, where is it going?

I heard the government is using them for training cause it's cheaper to shoot the the regular rounds used. So they buy millions of them and leave a few thousands for the rest of the country. Not sure the validity of that statement. Just what I heard :)

It's impossible to get and expensive because every jack wagon buys as much of it as they can as soon as they see it, even if they already have 100k rounds of it

• Like 1

Neckbearding hoarders have it all....My cousin said CCI made 3.4 million rounds last year of .22.

Just buy it online. Can find tons of it. A lot of the shooter supply shops are buying it up in mass quantity and making a few bucks on it. Go to ammoseek.com and order as much as you want from one of the sites.

Years back, .22LR ammo was available in every sporting goods store, big-box store, hardware store, even gas stations.

It was the most prolific, inexpensive, readily available ammo anywhere. $20 bricks (500 rounds) was pretty standard.

Somehow, after Sandy Hook, it just mysteriously vanished. Some said it was just pure demand, but at the same time I heard reports that CCI, Federal and others were pumping out millions of rounds per week. It's only the hoarders who are keeping the supply low.

Here we are years later. No national emergency. .223 can be had for around 24 cents per round, 7.62x39 even cheaper. There's still no .22 LR to be found.

Cabela's, Wal Mart, Midway USA, get only a few now and again. So if it's just a few hoarders, where are all these millions of .22 LR going? My local Wal Mart had to make a sign that says "We have no .22 LR ammo".

If the big box stores and major outlets aren't even getting it in, where is it going?

.22 ammo did not mysteriously vanish after the Sandy Hook tragedy. Prices started to go up way before that.

GreyGhost and DUG nailed it. Simple hoarding has led to the inevitable short supplies and price increases. Just basic supply and demand at work (likely originally driven by unfounded conspiracy theories, based on the little research I did on the topic......).

S.

• Like 1

I saw some of it at cabela's on Wednesday they had a lot I didn't buy any because I have some and I think $40 for bulk ammo is still outrageous. But they made the comment that the waited to put it out joking like fing with the coustmer

.22 ammo did not mysteriously vanish after the Sandy Hook tragedy. Prices started to go up way before that.

GreyGhost and DUG nailed it. Simple hoarding has led to the inevitable short supplies and price increases. Just basic supply and demand at work (likely originally driven by unfounded conspiracy theories, based on the little research I did on the topic......).

S.

Yup gotta agree with the above ^^^... That and the fact that .22 ammo is really cheap to target shoot with..Lets be real an hour or two of fun with your AR-15 is gonna cost you , not so much with .22

hoarders and capitalist.

those who aren't hoarding are selling it elsewhere for more $.

manufacturers are taking advantage selling direct to on line sellers leaving less for retail stores

until the manufacturers produce more ( I'm sure they are putting out as fast as they can, but like it the way it is) it will continue to be like this.

James

hoarders and capitalist.

those who aren't hoarding are selling it elsewhere for more $.

manufacturers are taking advantage selling direct to on line sellers leaving less for retail stores

until the manufacturers produce more ( I'm sure they are putting out as fast as they can, but like it the way it is) it will continue to be like this.

James

Yeah dude if you want to buy a brick you pretty much have to go on backpage or to a gun show to buy it in bulk.. Sellers on backpage are selling them like 55-60 bucks a brick..

Seems like the stores are not getting the amount and selection they use to get. You used to be able to walk into walmart and there would be a huge selection of different .22 ammo. And plenty of it as well. Now when they get their shipment it is just a few kinds and not a lot of quantity. So that doesnt seem like a horder issue to me. Even the guys at Walmart and Sportsmans say they gett all they can but they just cant order as much as they used to be able to. Just my obsorvation and what I have been told.

Coach,try the cal ranch store in show low.They usually have them on Monday mornings for less than 30 dollars for a brick of 500.

I am in Helena, MT this week and decided to look around for some 22 lr since that has become a favorite pastime for me. Went to 3 stores, all of them had it in stock. Prices were 7.99 for a box of 50 Remington Golden Bullett; 17.99 for 325 federal 40 gr match grade, $35 500 rington thunderbolt, $12 for 100 Norma copper tipped. I bought a box of federal match grade. No one was waiting at the door for a delivery, there was plenty in stock but as you can see the selection was pretty limited. My uncle said this is the least selection he has seen all year. Since gofer and rock chuck season just kicked off, that makes sense.

This experience makes me think the problem has more to do with greedy AZ ammo hoarders than it does with conspiracies or anything else. For example I have a friend with over 1,000 rds in his safe and he doesn't even own a .22, just bought it cause he found it. What an idiotic mentality, that I feel explains the shortage perfectly.

• Like 2