Sign in to follow this  
DEIdeven

let's hear about your packs!!!

I've been tossing around the idea of a new pack really want to get into the backcountry game. The tz cf 13 caught my eye as well as the exo mountain. Let's hear what you guys have had good experiences with. Or bad experiences.

• Like 1

My backpacking hunting pack is a kifaru bikini frame with a nomad and camp bag.

It's expandable from 2200 to 8000 and adaptable to any situation imaginable. It carries very well. I've load it to 100lbs. And it still feels good. Total pack weight is around 5lbs.

Something to think about is load lifters. If the load lifters don't go higher than the top of your shoulder(or 6in higher) the top of your shoulder will carry most of the weight. You won't carry a heavy pack on your shoulders very far or very long.

I am rockin a KUIU Icon1850 and I love it! Very well thought out pocket layout and suspension system.

Exo,kifaru, kuiu icon not ultra, and stone glacier all have amazing packs. Most hardcore backpack hunters use these packs. Questions you need to ask yourself are, max cost, the REAL use. And what kind of orginazation do need out of a pack.

If you are doing overnight or two in fair weather then packs in the 2000-3000ci size should work. 4000-5500 are good for five days and 7000ci packs are good for 7-10 days. Now if you are a guy that want to take the kitchen sink the go big for everything.

I'm not quite a minimalist but I don't take too many extras and have spent a fortune to get light and more compact gear to fit into my 5200ci for 5-7 days .

Some guys like one big pocket and a few smaller pockets others like many pockets for organization. Typically the more pockets the heavier the pack but not always.

One more thing, frames! External and internal.. This is a personal thing. External frames have the edge on big weight but I have carried 100lbs in my internal for a distance of a few miles and wasn't bad. The new carbon fiber frames are getting lighter and stronger and better all the time.

As you can tell, I am not gonna say get this pack or that pack. Typically guys that do that are justifying their own purchase just like archery gear, lol. But I will tell you to do your homework really get to know the REAL need and the price point and you will figure it out. Plus learning about it is half the fun!! Good luck, backpack hunting is adddicting!

I've got a eberlestock dragonfly. I've had it for I'd say 7+ years. It's getting very worn out but it's been good pack but getting close to time to replace it. I've also got a Badlands 2200 that I love too.

Gotta give it to the 2200 from badlands I carry that thing no matter what hunting I'm doing! Awesome warranty also

I picked up a Barney's freighter pack last year. The thing is bomb proof and they have been the go-to pack for guides in Alaska for years. It has the Pinnacle Kevlar bag that you can carry a small house inside. Only downside is the starting weight is 7 lbs with the meat shelf and top bar removed. Very comfortable and a work horse.

Guest 300ultramag.

It's expandable from 2200 to 8000 and adaptable to any situation imaginable. It carries very well. I've load it to 100lbs. And it still feels good. Total pack weight is around 5lbs.

Something to think about is load lifters. If the load lifters don't go higher than the top of your shoulder(or 6in higher) the top of your shoulder will carry most of the weight. You won't carry a heavy pack on your shoulders very far or very long.

Ive been looking at this exact set up. can you elaborate on your set up. Im looking to pull the trigger on this pack in the next few weeks.

Ive been looking at this exact set up. can you elaborate on your set up. Im looking to pull the trigger on this pack in the next few weeks.

Sure I'm not sure what else I can say. I've had a few different eberlestocks badlands and frame packs. Nothing g else compairs. The bikini frame is meant as their lighter duty frame but because of the open bat wing design I have put 2 50lbs bags of dog food in it and it carries much better than any other pack I've had. The load lifters shift the weight to your hips. So the with heavy loads are mainly felt in the legs.i went with the nomad because with or with out the camp bag it can be adapted to dam near any situation I could image.

Mines stays loaded with 1 50lbs bag of dog food all then time so I can stop after work and hike the local mountains

Once you have a kifaru frame any kifaru pack Fitz it. They will never obsolete a line of packs.

If your ever in the area your welcome to check it out.

I when I decided I was going to upgrade I had a hard time deciding. I got a kifaru because

Exo was eliminated right off the back. They are hard to get due to huge lead time and the company makes a small number of them and there were way too may for sale

I nearly got a kuiu icon pro 5200. A friend has one so I could at lleast handle it. Very comfy well laid out. Well organize. I never tryed it loaded with a heavy load but my buddy did. He said it left a little to be desired. I was considered that in 6 month they would re- revolutionize the back pack and the icon pro line will go by the way side.

I loved the outdoorsman pack. With the pod Suited my style perfect. it fit me extremely well. it carried a heavy load very well and bomb proof. My only complaint I felt restricted with a loaded pack at full draw with a bow. If the frame was an inch narrower it would be in my closet.

I was interested in the stone glacier sky archer and the sky 5100. They have a great reputation but they are new and I never see one in person

Bought an old Kelty from a member last year. Huge pack and I don't hike much since I'm fat but have put about 25 miles with it on and have no complaints. Not new, not fancy, but was 50 bucks and better than I've ever had.

I have the Horn Hunter Full Curl, tough pack. I really like it for backpack hunts its set up nice. Pack feels great loaded.

• Like 2

I have the Kuiu icon pro 5200. So far, it has been awesome. I haven't loaded it down with meat yet, but have fully loaded it out with gear and food for 5 days. You will spend a fortune on getting lighter, but to me, it is worth it in the long run. I have done one pack trip with it so far and it worked great. The pocket layout is fantastic. I like organization.

Exo was the other pack that I was interested in before buying the kuiu. The Exo is an absolute beast and would do you well. Great innovation in this pack. I still might end up picking this pack up in the future. Either of these packs are great. In the end it comes down to you. Good luck.

I've got a mystery ranch crew cab. There are things I love an things I don't. It's bomb proof. I loved being able to size customize when I ordered it as I'm small. It hauls a load very well and I love how it expands from a day pack to a 7 day or more pack. I guess my only complaint is that it's heavy with nothing in it. Between 7 an 8 pounds I think. But it doesn't bother me bad enough to get rid of it. These packs are beasts.