Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

Elk Trophy Pickup Fail

I have had a pheasant and brown trout done with R&R and both turned out good and within a few months but I'll never get a shoulder mount or rug done with them because their turn around time is outrageous

• Like 1

did his cape slip on you? maybe it's just me, but he looks really mangy and his mane is really really thin? it is a pretty rack though. congrats on the kill. that turnaround time is unacceptable, no matter what issues the guy is having

How would I know if it slipped? I noticed the same thing. I wonder if the hide was handled properly, but this is my first mount. I had a seasoned buddy with me who helped me cape it properly.

I rolled up the cape and took that out as the first load. I wouldn't imagine it was mishandled by me, but don't know.

Nice bull!! Do you have a truck lined up to pick it up?

Yes, thanks for asking. My neighbor and I are setup for this Saturday.

did his cape slip on you? maybe it's just me, but he looks really mangy and his mane is really really thin? it is a pretty rack though. congrats on the kill. that turnaround time is unacceptable, no matter what issues the guy is having

How would I know if it slipped? I noticed the same thing. I wonder if the hide was handled properly, but this is my first mount. I had a seasoned buddy with me who helped me cape it properly.

I rolled up the cape and took that out as the first load. I wouldn't imagine it was mishandled by me, but don't know.

did you get the cape on ice ?

i would say something definitely happened to the cape. who's fault it was, you may never know. sometimes the hunter does not get the cape cooled off quick enough, sometimes the taxidermist lets it thaw and spoil, sometimes the tannery can over brush them. a taxidermist knows the quality of the cape though, and they should let you know if the quality is suspect before completing the mount.

• Like 4

did you get the cape on ice ?

It was at the taxi the next day, and it was a cool night. I don't recall if I had it on ice or not...it was a long time ago, ha.

Still happy to have one on the wall.

Very nice... great bull.

I say put it high in the room (where the wife wants it) for now and slowly move it down a few inches every month when the wife it out of the house, until you have it where you want it. :-)

• Like 3

I've had a turkey and a bull done with R&R. Turn arounds were fine And I liked the mounts especially the Turkey. Probably won't use him anymore though just because I live on the west side and found someone closer to me.

Sounds like Kruegers Creations.

Between my buddy and I we have 13 mounts completed by Chris Krueger and none of them took longer than a year to get back.

Congrats on your bull. Its always a long wait, but end the end, you have the best type of artwork money can buy.

Chris Krueger has done my last 4 pieces (plus one currently there). It was about 13 months for my last deer. The longest any of them took. His work is amazing.

But 2.5 years is crazy talk. I am sorry for his health issues, but no way.

I do agree it is a great bull. Congrats.

And your wife would HATE my house.....

Between my buddy and I we have 13 mounts completed by Chris Krueger and none of them took longer than a year to get back.Congrats on your bull. Its always a long wait, but end the end, you have the best type of artwork money can buy.
Chris Krueger has done my last 4 pieces (plus one currently there). It was about 13 months for my last deer. The longest any of them took. His work is amazing.But 2.5 years is crazy talk. I am sorry for his health issues, but no way.I do agree it is a great bull. Congrats.And your wife would HATE my house.....

he had a turkey done for me in about 13 months , bear 2 years and badger 2years. Two of my friends had turkey in his shop a year ahead of mine and they got theirs 5 to 6 months after mine. I cant complain about his work, but dont tell people 12 months and take 24.

• Like 1

Between my buddy and I we have 13 mounts completed by Chris Krueger and none of them took longer than a year to get back.Congrats on your bull. Its always a long wait, but end the end, you have the best type of artwork money can buy.

Chris Krueger has done my last 4 pieces (plus one currently there). It was about 13 months for my last deer. The longest any of them took. His work is amazing.But 2.5 years is crazy talk. I am sorry for his health issues, but no way.I do agree it is a great bull. Congrats.And your wife would HATE my house.....

he had a turkey done for me in about 13 months , bear 2 years and badger 2years. Two of my friends had turkey in his shop a year ahead of mine and they got theirs 5 to 6 months after mine. I cant complain about his work, but dont tell people 12 months and take 24.

I could not agree more with this statement. "but don't tell people 12 months and take 24."

I have never had this happen to me though. I do know rugs take quite a bit longer though. His wife does the rug work, and from what I have seen, they are top notch.

• Like 2

I could not agree more with this statement. "but don't tell people 12 months and take 24."I have never had this happen to me though. I do know rugs take quite a bit longer though. His wife does the rug work, and from what I have seen, they are top notch.

I was not that bent about it , but my two friends were. The badger was rugged and is top notch. I guess my point is that I cant tell one of my customes a job will take a week, and then I take two with out consequences.

Between my buddy and I we have 13 mounts completed by Chris Krueger and none of them took longer than a year to get back.

Congrats on your bull. Its always a long wait, but end the end, you have the best type of artwork money can buy.

Chris Krueger has done my last 4 pieces (plus one currently there). It was about 13 months for my last deer. The longest any of them took. His work is amazing.

But 2.5 years is crazy talk. I am sorry for his health issues, but no way.

I do agree it is a great bull. Congrats.

And your wife would HATE my house.....

Haha, I am guessing we'd get along.

Also, I'd appreciate a PM from those of you who are experienced with mounts and have a balanced way I should discuss it with the taxi. I just checked a picture from 2012 and the cape was really thick and full. The picture i showed up top doesn't look close. I'd like to bring it up to them, but I want to be reasonable and respectful.

You never know you could have got a cape that wasnt yours. I would be trying to get some answers.

• Like 1

I didn't want to go here, but if that was my elk, i would not pay for the mount. I have heard a lot of horror stories about R&R. It looks like he mounted your antlers on a spike cape, and a bad one at that. The neck is waaay too skinny for a mature bull and looks as if it just finished a chemo treatment. I know it's not what you wanted to hear. I however, am very critical on my taxidermy work. You work your butt off to take that animal, pay top dollar and wait up to a few years to get the mount back. You should expect nothing less than a piece of art that you can be proud to hang and display for a lifetime. Just my 2 cents and please take no offense to my comment

• Like 3