Sign in to follow this  
couesntime

.300 weatherby round recommendations.

Let me start by saying that I have been an avid archery hunter through my hunting life. I have a .300 weatherby that I would like to get shooting well around the 400-600 yard arena. I have spent some time getting the action and barrel bedded, along with floating the barrel and getting the factory trigger down to 2lbs. I'm now trying to figure out what might be a good starting point for bullet type and grain. I drew a late rifle elk tag this year (pretty exciting), but would also like to stick with one load that I could potentially use for deer as we'll.

A little history about the gun would include me shooting no farther than 300 yards with an old Leupold scope and using Remington 180 gr. corelokt ammo. I have recently done some previously mentioned work to the gun as well as mounting a new vortex scope.

So all you knowledgable weatherby rifle guys let me know what has worked for you and or your 2 cents.

Thanks

Every rifle is different so what yours likes may be totally different than someone else's. I would not shoot less than 180s out of it as you have a magnum might as well get all you can out of it. 210-230 berger is what I would use.

I guess i would go against the grain with my advice! I have been shooting the 180 grain accubonds out of my 300wthby for at few years! I didnt have very good luck getting the bergers to fly good out of mine. And an accubond at 3200ft per second is gonna kill any elk or deer at 400 to 600 yrds out of that rifle. But it will depend on your rifle and if its factory or hand loads you are asking about?

Looking at factory loads for now.

Thanks for the advice STOMP, if I get into hand loading I will definitely consider that.

429mike, are the 180 grain accubonds you speak of from weatherby or another company?

Ronin flag, the scope is a vortex viper 6-24x50 and factory loads... I stated the rest I believe.

Thanks!

Im handloading! They have the 180 accubond in factory ammo, its pricey but weatherby ammo is loaded to a stout load! If your rifle likes it you should be good to go. And i personally wouldnt shoot anything less then 180gr out of a 300

• Like 1

couesntime- no way to tell what will shoot best in your rifle. buy three or 4 or 5 boxes of ammo try them. i would start with the federal 180 grain trophy bonded tip. and a few others. that scope will help determine which shoots best( at least it would help me ).

Thanks ronin, sounds like I have some shooting and cleaning, and some shooting and cleaning to do. I appreciate the input, I was just hoping that there were some loads that tend to work better than others.

By the way, it's a vanguard model.

Start reloading. if you are going to shoot that pig regularly you will pay for the equipment quickly. The cheap stuff for that gun is probably $2 a round Or more. I have the same pig in my safe and it stays there most of the time. The recoil and amount of powder you have to feed it make it not worth it to me. I am considering putting a muzzle brake on it to make it more pleasant to shoot, but until that and new glass happens it is staying in the safe. My 257 weatherby is way more pleasant to shoot.

For loads for that beast I would start with something in the 190-210gr range. Berger VLD, Speer BTSP, Sierra Game King or Match Kings.

The one in my safe liked the 168 Berger and 190 Speers I used to feed it. My rifle has never seen a factory round go down the tube. Randalls had Remington brass in stock for that last I checked. Bruno's had a ton of Berger VLDS last time I was there. Get a press and learn how to use it.

• Like 1

couesn - if you go to ammoseek you can find a lot of factory ammo available. most handload because it gives them control to adjust. i have loaded for the 300wby ( also 300rum, saum, wsm, wm) . some say it is cheaper. you have the power shooting a 300 wby it is easily good to 600 with a good rifle. in order to find the precision you are going to have to shoot. the 180 federal bonded tipped, and a 180 accubond are two i would start with .

• Like 1

With your setup, practice, and practice 500-600 should be easy.

My 257 weatherby vanguard was making consistent hits on 8" steel at 500 with a Basic Redfield scope on a stock rifle. My loads were pretty good, but I have a better load now and I just put in a timney trigger.

I have a rifle late cow elk Hunt this year.

Harley

The Factory Wby ammo they sell a 165gr NBT that is lights out...

I like the berger 168gr and 185gr for reloads

• Like 1

I to use the berger 185gr for my loads.