Sign in to follow this  
Swivelhead

Long Range Archery

Thought it would be appropriate to discuss the fundamentals of long range archery prior to discussing it's relevance to bow hunting. Bear with me as I have preconceived notions as to how it's done and obviously don't think it is good for the future of bowhunting. I'd ask that we all keep it civil while discussing the physics & techniques involved. Should you feel the need to vent ...... that's OK too.

Hope those of you who do practice & hunt long range will chime in to educate those of us who are unfamiliar with the process. Without input from LR guys this thread will be a real yawner. At this point, it would be best to talk strictly about equipment required and practice techniques involved.

Equipment:

1) You shoot a well tuned, smokin' fast bow. Likely a Hoyt. :P

2) High quality arrows, not necessarily light but have a lot of weight FOC, 20% or more.

3) Minimal fletching with an expandable, primarily for a high ballistic coefficient.

2) Peep on the string, bow sight is a single pin on a distance marked adjustable cam, marked for your set up. Likely, you keep it at 30-40 yards until a longer opportunity presents itself.

4) Top quality rangefinder with angle compensation.

Shooting/Practice:

1) You practice a lot, target, field, 3-D, roving, etc.

2) You don't have target panic. (yet)

3) ?

Likely, I missed a number of things. How do you guys do it?

Who cares anymore really...its all about feel good and keep your mouth shut if you have anything negative to say...everyone should just be able to do what they want and everyone else must agree or they are labeled as "judgmental"...who cares about accountability, responsibility, ethics, morals, etc anymore. We dont want to hurt anyone's feelings anymore and everyone "deserves" a pat on the back for their accomplishment right?

• Like 6

Swivel I consider myself willing to take a long distance shot if the situation calls for it. I shoot a 2014 Hoyt carbon spyder turbo at 28" 75lbs with a MBG Ascent 3 pin, Easton FMJ 340's 100gr Shuttle T Locks and practice to 130/140. I use a Vortex range finder. What else do you want to know?

@average joe weren't you the first person to say something negative in the last thread mate?

edit: nvm I guess your post was about justifying your comments from the last thread.

is today's equipment able to handle LR? Without a doubt. Am I able to handle today's equipment to shoot LR? NO WAY! But there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that their aren't those few gifted sob's who can. Just like all the pro's in any sport that most can't hold a candle to. The bad....everyone that plays their sport, thinks if the gifted can...they can. WRONG! I say, don't hold the gifted back. Let them shine, and let the rest of us be jealous of Mantle, Jordan, Murray, Earnhardt........azhamill. ;)

• Like 4

I disagree on the single pin. Just saying. Being able to dial in extra yards is enough for me... that and practicing at stupid yards just for the knowledge of doing it.

• Like 1

I lick my thumb, stick in the air for the windage, if the animal is smaller than my thumbnail he is 60 yards at least so I compensate from there and then throw my spear

• Like 2

I disagree on the single pin. Just saying. Being able to dial in extra yards is enough for me... that and practicing at stupid yards just for the knowledge of doing it.

Nice name... #2

Haha just kidding.

• Like 1

Swivel I consider myself willing to take a long distance shot if the situation calls for it. I shoot a 2014 Hoyt carbon spyder turbo at 28" 75lbs with a MBG Ascent 3 pin, Easton FMJ 340's 100gr Shuttle T Locks and practice to 130/140. I use a Vortex range finder. What else do you want to know?

What is your overall arrow weight? Any idea on the speed? I'm not familiar with your sight, how do you dope long distance?

What's up with your other guys? We'll bellyache & moan later, right now we are (hopefully) trying to learn something.

28" draw with FMJ's, 100gr tip, your FOC can't be that high unless you are also adding heavy inserts? I've got that issue, but maybe you've found high FOC to not be a big deal.

I gave up shooting long range because I'm lazy and got tired of walking all the way out to 100yds to retrieve my arrows. 😝

• Like 4

I gave up shooting long range because I'm lazy and got tired of walking all the way out to 100yds to retrieve my arrows.

That's funny stuff right there.

BTW, I do advocate practice at longer distances. LR will definitely expose flaws and it also makes close shots "chip" shots.

It is probably not long range anymore, but I practice and shoot out to 80 yards with a single pin sight and watch others do it up to 100 yards at the archery range.

As far as foc I'm at an acceptable level of 10/11%. High foc is nice in helping to correct arrow flight if the bow isn't tuned properly but I've never had that issue. I'm at 460gr shooting 285fps at 82.8 lbs of ke and .58 momentum. For the sight I range my target then turn the adjustment knob on my sight till my indicator pin hits the exact yardage mark then draw back and shoot. Seems to work so far. Pic is 80 yards at Paseo.

post-8981-0-71944800-1432263321_thumb.jpg