Hello all, been on the site a little while, mainly trying to learn about Coues, tactics to hunt them and long range hunting. I'm a southerner, in the Army, currently in KY and my goal is to draw and fill a Coues tag in Arizona. I've got my choices in for the draw this year, focused on the October hunt options because it seems the draw rate is higher and quite frankly I don't know when I'll get another fall where I have a predictable schedule and can take leave to go on a backpacking hunt across the country.

Hope it goes well, I've already started my range work and weeding out what will and won't be in my kit for this fall. I've read several good posts on rifles and kit and feel good about what is on the list right now. I've done a good bit of hiking and backpacking (recreation and on 7 deployments) so basics are covered. Would def like recommendations on "don't leave home without it for southern Arizona".

Gun: Savage LRH 6.5x284 with Vortex HSLR 4-16x50 scope... and G23 .40 for sidearm

Binos: Vortex Viper HD 10x42, had these already but not opposed to going higher magnification

Spotter: Haven't picked one up, looking at the lower magnification range Viper HD or Razor HD 16-48, thoughts? Or would it be better for just one set of 15x binos and no spotter?

-I have some great Asolo and Salomon boots for hiking and but the early hunt has me concerned about rattlesnakes, thoughts on gaiters/snakeboots?

-My pack is a normal ALICE frame with Tactical Tailor custom sewn bag and straps but looking for ideas on slightly smaller/lighter... eberlestock x2 or similar?

-Water-- no resupply obviously so carry in what you can and filter the rest? Recommendations on these for a week long hunt?

Thanks in advance and best of luck to you all, hope to meet some of yall next fall!!

if you are planning a backpack hunt you need to be positive there is water around to filter, otherwise plan on a couple of trips humping in water before you hump in your camp, or head to the truck and resupply every couple days. Don't count on water sources flowing until you have seen it with your own eyes.

• Like 1

duck- thanks for your service. I hunt with a 6.5-284 Remington 700 when I hunt coues. I carry a laser range finder . a lot of the shots I get when hunting coues are longer. I do not carry a handgun. my rifle works good for close shots as well as the longer ones, and I am older and do not care for the extra weight.

Gents,

Thanks for the quick responses on this!! I only put in for 33, 34A, 35A for the OCT hunt.

Great info on the water sources, do you have a preferred type/brand of filter? I planned to bring in 2x 3L camelbaks and I also have a 6L Bladder but I don't want all my eggs in one basket if that things punctures.

Using a Bushnell 1600 ARC for the rangefinder, anyone have issues with terrain, sun, etc affecting the capabiltiies of their LRFs?

ronin-- The G23 was my thought for personal defense, since I've read alot about drug/people smuggling in the areas.

Thoughts on the OTC Lion tag for the OCT season in those 3 areas? Seems like it would always be worth the chance to get one but not sure of their habits and the effect the fall hunting pressure.

I'll let ya'll know as soon as the tag results are out!

I don't think you'll have trouble finding a white tail in any of those units

I would not step foot in any arizona unit without a lion tag in my pocket

Ivr had good luck with the msr sweet water and 6l msr dramotory bag.

• Like 1

duck- thanks for your service. I hunt with a 6.5-284 Remington 700 when I hunt coues. I carry a laser range finder . a lot of the shots I get when hunting coues are longer. I do not carry a handgun. my rifle works good for close shots as well as the longer ones, and I am older and do not care for the extra weight.

Ron, in my opinion the pistol isn't only fir close shots, but multiple assailants, or multiple shots.

• Like 3

I have hunted down there many times. the one time by myself i did take my 10 mm. Duck- with those choices you will get a tag. Oct weather can vary. i always carry my own water. not much running water. coues occupy very very rugged country. enjoy. ron

Definitely look into getting some 15x or 12x bi is and a tripod with a decent pan head, makes all the difference! I never used a spotter unless you're really looking at how big an animal is down to the inch. TONNSS of deer in those units so you will do great.

Thanks for your service!

• Like 1

I have stopped all over 34a for bird hunting and saw does during spring Ham hunt. I too put 34a toward the top of my list.

I see lots of alien activity - trash piles of water bottles, stashed food. Always be safe and bring your side arm, but truth be told they are more scared of getting caught by you. I am personally more worried about my camp and truck while out hunting. I tend to park in a visible area away from brush to make it harder for them to access without becoming visible to the BP. I place all valuables out of sight and locked. If you have a cooler sitting in camp, make sure you have back up water somewhere locked. I see BP all over with the eye in the sky... they also make great resources to chat about the area.

Have fun! good luck on the draw

Camofreak- Thanks for heads up on the optics--- recommendation for a tripod?

How many of you guys hunt with shooting sticks vs bipod? The limited amount of ground/spot and stalk hunting I've done has been with shooting sticks.

Loving the website and how helpful the members on here are, great source of knowledge and I'll keep digging and bending yalls ear!

As far as tripods go just find one that will be tall enough for you, sturdy enough and light enough. Tripods I don't feel are overly important, just find one that works for you. Optics are more important.

I think a good tripod is imperative with good/heavy optics. You can have a set of Swaro ELs, but if the tripod moves with every little breath of wind, they won't do you much good.

I use a combo of bipod/shooting sticks/tripod depending on the situation. Use what you are used to and what you like.

With those choices... Congrats on your first Coues Deer tag!!! There are a few of us on this site with great knowledge of those units.

Water would be what I would focus on for a backpacking trip. FYI, you don't HAVE to backpack those units if you are okay with 4-6 miles round trip a day.

Besides that, prepare yourself for long (plan on it being HOT) days behind the glass. Practice glassing game as much as you can. I didn't spot a coues on my first hunt, 6 years later I am good for at least one HAHA.. :)

If there is anything I can do to help out, let me know.