Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

Savage 338 lapua

Does anyone out there reload for a savage 338 Lapua? i would love to shoot the 300 grn berger but the magazine is a little short. i can only get them 250 thousandths from the lands? anyone else have this problem, or anyone out there shoot the same rifle?

Large magnum calibers use long heavy bullets, its just part of the game. If you want to seat the bullets at the lands you will need to forget about ever fitting a magazine and if you want to use the rifle as a repeater you need to forget about touching the lands. Develop your load to fit what ever style of shooting you want to do. Chances are you will be able to find a load at mag length no problem but you will sacrifice a little bit of powder capacity and velocity to do it. But when you are shooting a 300 grain bullet nothing you hit with it will ever know that it was loaded 100fps shy of what the cartridge is fully capable of.

What is the extended mag? Do you have to lengthen the magazine well, or is it drop in?

Good luck! I could never get mine to shoot cosistantly. I had phoenix customs re-barrel it. Now it shoots 1/4 moa with almost any load.

• Like 1

Big Browns, what model did/do you have? My first very light, experimental loads were MOA or slightly better. I was just blowing out some brass to order the correct neck bushing and get my resizing die set. I've got some 285 A-Max bullets to try out as well.

I gotcha. I went with the 111LRH. Love the feeling of squeezing off a 300grn bullet. I imagine it will probably be pretty effective on a coues this fall

I bought the Lapua so I we ould never have to track another Bear:) 300 grn Berger in the boiler room and your DONE!!!!!

Have you shot anything with one yet? Wondering how messy it is

who would waste money on a steaming yam like a lappua? la-poo-aaahhh. even the name sounds like an ol' frog takin' a dump. one thing about one, they hafta be better than a 7-08. 'course so's a cork gun. Lark.

I have a 338 edge. Not the Lapua but similar. Look at the wyatts extended magazine box. I can load mine with on the lands rounds with room to spare.