Ace High Benny

UNIT 10 Camping Options

Good day all,

I am one of the lucky ones who drew a UNIT 10, Mid-October, Elk hunt.

From what I gathered, this is a unit with no significant commercial lodging in or around it (or just far to get to and not worth the time).

I am looking for valuable suggestions as to where to set camp, not in a specific area but, THROUGHOUT the whole unit. Hence, all opinions are welcome.

• I am considering a Big-Bo Pass
  • Will be driving a 4x4 RAM
  • Camping either with a light travel trailer or just a tent

With the above preliminary data taken into consideration, where would one find suitable campsites in this unit?

Thank you and best of luck with your hunts.

Ben

Any where you want if it's not posted. Scout your but off and camp near where you want to hunt. The unit is huge and you will need to learn how to get around and from one side to the other. The main acces roads in the unit are espee, the double a road from Williams, the sevens road north of ash fork, Hoffman camp, pica camp, and the hwy across the north side.

• Like 3

There are NO elk in unit ten. Just throw your tag away and save gas and money.

• Like 2

if you are not hunting the BO

just kinda positon yourself in the approx. center of a big area

a place like the 6 road above the R&R tracks give you options to go in 4 directions - any of which can be prime elk habitat

best to start scouting for camp options now - less traffic and still possibilities of seeing elk in early mornings or late evenings -

check the NEW road closure map as they do have designated camping areas

you've got a great tag - one of the issues is you may not be able to go 2-3 places in a day - go ahead of time find a few herds of cows and then pick a spot .

just remember any of the side roads can get muddy and rough even for the most prepared hunter.

Unit 10 can be one of the worse to travel in if rains hit and roads turn to mud

if hunting the BO go prepared, as once you go in your probably going to stay till you've tagged out - the farther north and remote you go the better

• Like 3

Good suggestions by Elkaholic. The roads in 10 do get messy when there is weather. I have the late Nov hunt looking forward to it. Good luck.

• Like 2

Gary, How am I gonna Kill a big Elk in 10 if Its muddy and I have never even been there. I might get stuck for 7 days.LOL..........BOB!