Big Browns

Do you agree with G&F forcing kids to take Hunter Safety???

Yes, yes, yes my kids went thru it 2 times each that means I went thru it 10 times myself, I just t wish they would stay with the class and not online, I believe the kids learn and retain more. My son learned a saying from an instructor and still quotes him today. " the person in the mirror is responsible for the person in the mirror " not to many live by that anymore. My opinion

• Like 5

Absolutely! And I also think it should be mandatory for kids over 14 and adults. Everyone should go through the class at least once.

Don't get me wrong. I agree hunter ed is very important. I'm just frustrated, because my kids can't go big game hunting without it. If you knew my kids you would understand a little more. They are the typical "want it now generation". I just wish there was another option for them to try it out to make them see how much they would enjoy it. Yes they can go on one of my hunts, but they don't want to go unless they can shoot! I know, they are SPOILED! I also know that getting them into hunting will teach them a lot of valuable skills and behaviors.

This is a great opportunity for you to teach them if they want something they have to earn it!

Even before my daughter turned 10 I started researching class locations and on line classes. We both did the on line then went to the field day it was good time spent together. That being said I do think it should be mandatory small price to pay to be able to hunt.

Yes. Been through it three times (myself + 3 kids) and each time picked up something new. Be a parent, not a friend! Pretty simple, take the class or don't hunt. I think it should be mandatory for everyone.

• Like 1

If you know they are spoiled its good that you acknowledge that and still plenty of time to change their (and your) way of thinking. As stated above be a parent not a friend.

• Like 1

Hunter safety course isn't just about safety....atleast back in my day. They taught about game identification, caliber size, etc...etc...interaction with other humans that share the same interests shouldn't be a chore, it should be desired. You have to make time for priorities. If you dont...they aren't priorities.

• Like 3

Yes!

Been through it four times (myself in 79', then three kids in the last 10 years). I learned a little more each time. Always time well spent, and good bonding with each of my kids. Small opportunities..... ;)

S.

:)

PS: Youth Outdoors Unlimited do an GREAT job with their classes!!! I recommend you look them up! ;)

• Like 1

G&F is not forcing them or you to do anything other then make a choice .... My Son did not show much interest in hunting until just this last year at 16 .... he enjoyed the occasional small game hunts, target shooting, camping, fishing and about everything else outdoors but was a bit reluctant to want to put in for Big Game Hunts... That changed last year and at 16 I still made him take the Hunters safety class. heck the class is far simpler and takes a lot less time than it did when I took the class when I was 10 ... I agree with everyone here who says that every person hunting Big Game in AZ should have to take the Class and everyone does if they are going to do any of the WMAT reservation Hunts.

p.s. G&F is not making it harder as it has been that was for the last 30+ years ... 30 years ago you would have gone to multiple classes for 3 - 4 hours a night with an actual teacher , then take a test with the teacher making sure you were not cheating , then do your Range Day ... Now it is on line ( Open Book Basically) and your range day and if you prepare in advance finding the Range day is not as bad as it was 5 years ago...

• Like 3

Attending and passing a Hunter Ed program should be something every individual that wants to enjoy the sport of hunting should plan to attend. Sacrifices need to be made to achieve it. Some late nights, adjusting work schedules, what ever it may be. The men and women donating their time to teach our youths and adults is well worth the time it takes to get it done. Have attended a few with my kids and I have to say it was time well spent.

• Like 2

I say make them take the class but if you really want them to get a taste for hunting before the class then you could take them to California and shoot a ranch hog or sheep. I don't believe they require hunters Ed cause my buddy took his 5 year old to shoot a hog.

• Like 1

I believe that to hunt Colorado it is required for all, at least it was last time I hunted there. I had taken it in NY in 1970 where it was mandatory.

Game and Fish does not force anyone to take Hunter Safety... They do give our youth an opportunity to hunt big game prior to the age of 14 if they are willing to put forth a little effort and sacrifice a little time to complete the course. Good way teach them we are not always entitled to things but we have to earn them.

• Like 1

WOW - I have NEVER seen CWT unanimously agree on a topic on an entire page before, let alone three.

Adam, I'm sure you have great kids, but on top of all the great points added above, imagine what a bad apple of a family could do to themselves and the headlines it would generate on the hunting community if the learning process wasn't in place and mandated for such a responsibility at such an age.

Another yes here.

• Like 4