Big Browns

Do you agree with G&F forcing kids to take Hunter Safety???

Times have changed, I suppose..... I grew-up in Kearny before there was an on-line option (or even the internet to get information from). Not sure how my dad managed it because it was a long time ago and I don't remember it that well. I do remember though, driving one evening per week for a number of weeks all the way to Phoenix to go to the classes (that was before the 60 freeway too so it was NOT a quick trip.... lol) I'm sure it wasn't easy on my dad, but we managed....

I've volunteered with the G&F on several things, and have helped-out with some of the weekend classes. There are never too many volunteers, so I definitely think it would be a great thing for you to look into maybe getting some kind of a grass-roots volunteer effort going in your local area to help out.

Sincere good luck to all folks (and especially kids) in finding a training class!

S.

:)

PS: Do you really have to go all the way to Thatcher? With a little planning, surely there is a class in Tucson, which is nowhere near 2 1/2 hours away???

I'm not sure. My volunteering was limited to being 'gopher', cook, organizing, and general helper type of duties.... Was never a certified instructor. My guess is that there is quite a regimental program, likely including shadowing current instructors and becoming an expert (come to think of it, if someone is having a hard time even finding time to get to a single class, they likely would not find the time to go through the whole certification thing.... JMO....).

AZslim should be able to answer, if he sees this.

S.

:)

Guest 300ultramag.

I wish they would make the lake Lice,recreational shooters and quaders take a course similar to this format

• Like 3

Step one in the process of becoming an instructor: take the hunter education class. So, you need credit to get credit sort of thing.

I did a bunch of research, and it is a five step process including taking the class, filling out some volunteer forms and DPS checks. There is an instructor class and you need to volunteer as helper during classroom and field day events. If you do well, and can get a Chief or Master instructor to endorse you, you can become a certified instructor and host your own trainings. It actually did not sound bad, just time consuming. My kids will be 13 before I could complete the process.

Sorry boys, you'll have to stick to squirrels and birds 'til your thirteenth birthdays. Looks like I get to have the big game fun 'til then!

to become an Instructor you must first take the class, then attend another class that puts emphasis on teaching techniques and styles, then hook up with one of the Chief Instructors putting on a class. It isn't hard to get with a team teaching classes, most folks teach a year or two then move on. As I said earlier, it's all volunteer, the small fee taken up front is used to buy the stuff that gets shot up on field days and to cover some of the ammo, G&F gets money from the Pitman/Robertson Act for every student you graduate. You won't get an extra BP or anything like that, but it was worth it for the kids, I have run into several or their parents, that attended my classes and couldn't wait to share their hunting stories and pictures with me.

• Like 5

I understand your thoughts. I believe they should take the class because they will learn something to help them be better hunters. They will gain something from the class. I'd suggest not giving them a choice but rather make it a fun day with dad. The way you view the class should transfer to your children. Make it fun (somehow be creative).

• Like 1

The problem is there are not enough classes and or range days. All people should take gun safety in school and hunter school to hunt. The G&F should do more for education. Instead they irritate the instructers that they have and many have quit.

• Like 1

Yup, need more classes though. Its hard when they run the class during when most people work.

I gotta say its a pain in the rump. My first boy went through at cabellas, numerous night classes. I cant even remember how many. he is now 18 years old. My second son did it at g+f on carefree highway, at 9 years old. 2nd son was 2 weekends and done. All a pain, but I started to check schedules way in advance, and got them through it. If you have a young one ,8 -9 , start now. It may be worse now , but my youngest is now 13 with 2 elk in his pocket.

Kids definitely more knowledge never hurt anyone, if its important then make the time and make it happen. I think everyone who hunts in Arizona should have to attend a hunters safety course.

I know I'm late to the party but thought I might share a little of my recent experience. Like everyone else, I too agree that the Hunter's Ed. course should be required and is very valuable. I have had major issues over the past couple of years trying to schedule a course for my daughters (14 & 12 yrs. old) to attend. Due to prior commitments on the weekends, Sat. and Sun. were very difficult for our family to attend both days. This year they just opened up a new option at Bass Pro Shop in Mesa that we attended. It was a Wed.-Fri. 5:00pm-8:30pm (usually got out a littler early) and then the field class was all day on Sat. This worked perfect for us. The main instructor was Bill Willison and he did a phenomenal job. I wasn't sure I was able to make all the classes w/ my girls so I didn't sign up for it. But things changed and when I got there on Wed. I asked if I could sign up and attend (b/c I wanted the Hunter Ed. point for the draw - I from out of state and AZ doesn't recognize out of state Hunter's Ed. classes). They said I could and I'm glad I did. I learned a lot in the class! There were a lot of dads in the class that thought they knew all the answers and many times they were wrong. The other benefit to attending the class (compared to the on-line course) is that they basically tell you what to highlight/mark for test purposes. They give you enough breaks and if you brings snacks/food, it hopefully won't be too bad for your boys. It goes pretty quick. I was going to do the on-line course but glad this option came up. Good luck.

• Like 2

Required? No. A very good idea? Yes. I went one day as a kid with my dad, his friend, and his friend's son, and we didn't go back and finished the class. I was too little to know what was going on and to this day don' t know why we didn't finish it. I remember it seeming overwhelming at the time. Maybe I was 6, maybe I was 9, no idea. Lucky my dad is a Marine and taught me gun safety from day #1, so in the end I didn't need it.

Anyway, there are already too many laws being created on a daily basis. We're just regulating because there are too many idiots ruining things for the rest of us. I'm not sure it should be required. Do I recommend taking your kids to one, definitely, yes!

I've seen both your boys hunt Adam, and I was watching them carefully like a hawk! (I always watch anyone I've newly met with guns) They met my gun safety rules that day so I think you taught them very well.

That said, they're your boys, you don't have to convince them of anything. Take them to hunter ed whether they want to go or not. Take them elk or deer hunting, and just pick for them if they can't decide. Don't give them too much of a choice. Kids are getting too much of that these days. Their thought processes aren't developed enough to decide all things on their own. They'll get plenty of that when they are older :-)

The hunter ed class is packed full of good info for them, definitely suggest in person, no way online. The field day they should really enjoy. At least I know some of the instructors work hard to put together a fun field day. It also has its benefits besides just a hunter ed point. Other states that require hunter ed and recognize's Arizona's, for example.

Lonne

• Like 1

My daughter is now 14 took the class before she was 10 and she wont hesitate to point out to any one if any wrong doings may occur when we are out in the field. Things she learned in the hunter safety program my personal opinion is that every one should have to take it some states require it , small sacrifice to pay to be able to go hunting .

Yes!

I have been through Hunter Safety four times! Once in 1973, when I was 14. Again in 1991 when the State of Arizona first offered up an additional bonus point in the big game draw. With my stepson Ian and finally with my son Patrick who is now 16. Learned something new each time!

Cheers,

280REM

• Like 1