AZBUCKEYE

Time for a new tuck Diesel or Gas

Well going to take the dive on a new or slightly used 4 X 4 truck having heck of a time deciding on go diesel or the big gas. Plan on pulling moderate toy hauler maybe dozen times a year. Is the diesel worth the extra expense and cost of maintenance?

If you get a Dodge with the Cummins, its worth it. Great fuel mileage towing, and good mileage when you're not. Just don't get a automatic transmission.

What's this extra cost of maintenance your speaking of? It's all the same. That being said the diesel is worth the extra cost if your goin to be haulin.

I have 1000 miles on my new Cummins and wow, very happy. I did get an auto trans so I guess it will be falling apart soon.

The 50 grand is worth it just for the Jake brake alone. Awsome is all I can say. I have owned diesel for the last 21 years and will never tow with anything else.

• Like 2

I'm gonna be the devils advocate on this one and go with gas. I grew up on a farm all my life and have been around diesels and gas engines the whole time. My uncle used to have a saying about diesels. "Trucks, tractors and trains" and I think I agree with him. The upfront and long term costs associated with a diesel are going to be significantly higher. I just bought a new ford 4 door with ecoboost and the max tow package. It handles our toyhauler both in power and payload better then my dads 7.3 powerstroke all day. I looked hard a new power stroke and it would've cost me $18,000 more upfront for it. Oil changes are gonna be about double, not a huge expense but something to factor. Fuel costs in the last 10 years have been about 60-90 cents higher for diesel, although they've balanced out as of late. My ecoboost will get 19 highway not pulling, which is similar to any diesel out there. It loves gas when I pull with it, and will get about 8-10 with the toyhauler on it. My dads powerstroke will do about 12-14 pulling same thing. The amount it sounds like you pull I'd the big kicker. If you hauled for a living that'd be a different story, but for 10-12 times a year as is my case the extra $18,000 is gonna be hard to justify in my opinion. The last factor that personally seals the deal for me is noise and smell. You can't even get near the diesel pump without smelling like a oil refinery. This gets on you when out hunting and you can't get that crap off. They have come a long way on diesel noise but there's no way arohnd that rattle when climbing a little hill into your parking area to hike in. In my part of the world we have to fight with gelling too. So you have to run additive and #1 all winter. This adds so much cost and your mileage advantage is long gone out the door. So I guess I go back to my uncles saying. Here on our farm almost all of our trucks are diesel (Im using the term truck correctly, a real "truck" that has more then 2 axles but that's a whole other story!) all of our tractors are diesel, and if I had a train I'm guaranteeing that'd be diesel too, but I doubt I'll ever own a diesel pickup.

• Like 3

If pulling a lot of weight, Diesel, if not gas motor all the way.

• Like 1

We bought a new F250 with a 6.7 in '13 with the plan to get a 34-40ft 5th wheel. Plans have changed and the 5th wheel is a no go so now the truck has to go.

I absolutely love this truck, it is my dream truck but if you are not using them for what they were really designed for it is not a smart use of it. Oil changes are $115 every 5k and every third one requires the fuel filters too which is a $300+ service total.

Mileage is a wash but it costs more for diesel as mentioned before.

More D

• Like 1

I would have to agree with yotebuster, over the next few years you will save much more money with a gas motor. If you pulled a heavy trailer daily or weekly I would say diesel but for me it is a no brainer.

I own both

We bought a new F250 with a 6.7 in '13 with the plan to get a 34-40ft 5th wheel. Plans have changed and the 5th wheel is a no go so now the truck has to go.

I absolutely love this truck, it is my dream truck but if you are not using them for what they were really designed for it is not a smart use of it. Oil changes are $115 every 5k and every third one requires the fuel filters too which is a $300+ service total.

More D

Wal-Mart, $56 for an oil change. (Yes, diesel)

• Like 3

Whatever you decide talk to Victoria Earnhart Dodge, she's the finance manager down there. She can get you, ford, chevy or dodge. She got me the best deal without dealing with a sales person. I shopped around for a while and no one could get close to her pricing! Best to luck to you, I bought a dodge Cummings, no regrets

• Like 2

More D

Wal-Mart, $56 for an oil change. (Yes, diesel)
Seriously? I'll have to look into that. Thought I was doin good at $75 at bill Luke. Also as far as complaints on cost of oil changes you don't have to do them as often so it evens out.
  • Like 1

Really we buy a 50,000 truck and worry about 100 for oil change?

On another note I got 3 free when I bought mine. I have to drive to flag for it, bummer I hate going up north!

I am not sure about this deal now I am told over 10,000 miles for oil change ?

7500 miles between oil changes on my 2008 Cummins. As First coues said, Walmart $50 for a oil change=same as gas.also newer diesel engines are quiet and you can't even smell the exhaust.