Coach

6.5 x 284 - thoughts?

The 6.5 caliber is one of my favorites! No experience with the 6.5-284 or the 6.5 lapua. But there are many other 6.5 cartridges that can be just as accurate and fast with the 140grainers. The 6.5 swede has been a long time favorite for many. My 6.5 Roberts is pushing 140gr at 3000fps and has a very generous throat. If beating up the barrel is a concern another one of the 6.5 cases mentioned might be worth a look. Either way. Not hating on anything that can reach out and touch that far :-) many options and flavors for all kinds of folks

Nice goat.

Those kind of numbers is why I got out of the 6.5-284 business. To achieve those numbers in the 6.5-284 you need ~57gr or so of Retumbo or H1000.

What's ur load on the 260ai or what's speeds u getting if u don't mind me asking.

My current setup is a Savage action with 26" Mcgowan Varmint barrel 8 twist that is pushing 140 Berger VLDs at 2940 fps with 42.0gr of H4350.

I have built a few of these over the years for others and they all run somewhere between 2920-2960fps using 42-44gr of H4350. For comparison sake my 6.5-284 was also a 26" criterion barrel and my best accuracy load was 48.0gr of H4831 and a 140 Amax at 2840fps. My next best load at the high end was with 56gr of Retumbo at 2960 fps with a Berger VLD. I stuck with the low node load and shot that rifle for years and had well over 1000 rounds down the pipe and still holding 1/2" groups at 200 yards before I sold the barrel.

Hi All;

I purchased a "used" Savage Model 116 about a year ago. Backordered 100, 6.5-284 NORMA Lapua cases from Midway when you could get them for $107/100. Fought to find bullets, Nosler and Berger.

Currently have "decent" loads developed for the 120 grain Nosler BT and 129 grain Nosler AB LR. 120 grain Nosler BT load is with Varget.

Tried Reloder 19 & 22 and mostly H4831SC.

Just tried the Berger 140 grain Hunting VLD. Best accuracy is at 0.002" off of the lands.

Remember, if you develop a load with the Bergers you need to conduct the "sweet spot" test by loading groups of rounds at:

touching the lands

0.040" off of the lands

0.080" off of the lands and...

0.120" off of the lands

This recipe was shared with me by Walt Berger himself when I met him a couple of years back at Ben Avery Range.

Sounds crazy, but one of those settings will yield a group much tighter than the other three. Starting powder charge is called "modest" by Mr. Litz.

He defines that as any powder charge BELOW published MAXIMUM.

After you determine the "sweet spot" you can then change the powder charge by 0.5 grain up or down to squeeze out the best accuracy/precision of your rig.

I just found and purchased a 100 pack of 142 grain Nosler AB LRs @ Sportman's Warehouse here in Tucson. They are next up on the list for trials once I rectify a Redding die problem.

Best of luck!

280REM

only .264 i shoot is the real one, .264 win mag. have been for over 40 years. only use 100 gr btsp's zippin' along at about 3700 fps. shoots like a lazer beam. don't care about the minute of angle stuff. as long as it shoots minutes of goat or deer or coyote, it's fine with me. absolutely the best off hand running game rifle i've ever shot. yeah, i take runnin' shots. lots of em. with the velocity it takes a lotta the guess work outta how far to lead em. and if i smoke a barrel, i screw a new one in. i mean really, how often you burn up a barrel? a new one ain't that much. even if you shoot a bunch it'll take you 4 or 5 years. the 7 mag and 300 win are just as hard on barrels. i think the .300 is worse. 6.5/284 is interesting and it's cool to see folks finally realize the genius of the .284 win case. i don't know why folks don't offer the .284 in a good bolt gun. if i had to shoot a 7mm, that's what it would be. i guess if you have the time and patience to pack a mule load o' equipment with you and ain't sneaky enough to get closer than 800 yards from something, the 6.5/284 is cool. but i like my hotrod .264 for a lotta stuff. it's sent a buncha goats, coyotes and deer to valhalla. i love my .270, but the .264 is one sweet round for open country and fast animals. Lark.

• Like 1

Just started shooting my 6.5x284.... it sat on a rack at the cabelas here for nearly two years untouched before getting resigned to the clearance rack. Savage 111 LRH, walked out with it for $750 and tax. Not a popular cartridge in Kentucky... just saying.

Had it at the range, dialed in quickly with 120NBT from Nosler and have a box of 129 ABLRs to try out. Going to chrono the factory loads and go from there.

Great info here guys - I really appreciate it. I'm starting with 'carte blanche' here building off a Savage long action (.270) with accutrigger. I'm definitely sticking with the 6.5 but not sure whether to go with the .284, AI, SLR, Creedmore, Swede - I would really like to know what you guys think is the "best" 6.5. I'll be hand loading as I do with all my guns, probably a Boyt thumbhole laminate stock with a medium contour - not too light, not bench rest heavy. Also there's a lot of barrels out there for a Savage - Shilen, Criterion, Lilga and more - I'm thinking 26" target crown.

So let's try this - I'll build the CWT 6.5. You guys help pick the chambering, barrel and stock (within reason) and I'll build it and work up loads based on your recommendations. Sound fun?

Coach I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out! Does anyone have any experience with Amax's of any weight in the 6.5x284?? I've still only shot the 120NBTs out of my savage but I will shoot the 129 ABLRs this Thursday. The Academy Sports here in KY had 120gr and 140gr 6.5 Amax and I was considering that as a long range load as well.

The 6.5 140gr Amax said that 1-7.5" or faster was required... my Savage LRH is 1-8" has anyone shot this or had stability issues from a 1-8"

The 6.5 140gr Amax said that 1-7.5" or faster was required... my Savage LRH is 1-8" has anyone shot this or had stability issues from a 1-8"

You will never have a stability problem with an 8 twist and the 140 AMAX at any altitude in any sane temperature.

• Like 2

308- Thanks! Good to know. Now that I know I am AZ bound this fall I am thinking of working up a load with the 140 Amax for Coues. Any recommended starting points? I'm new to reloading and have been reading my nosler manual and on forums to try and start at the right place.

51-53 grains H4831 over Rem 9-1/2 primers or 47-49 H4350 over Fed 210m.

• Like 1

Fixing to have a straight 260 barrel cut right now after seeing the results that guys around me are getting. I'll take a hair more windage and a bit less energy in exchange for the other advantages of the 284 version.

1: reasonable barrel life. (Notably better than the 6.5-284)

2: Lapua makes brass for it.

3: you can neck 708 or 308 brass should the need arise.

4: less recoil. Not that the 284 version is bad.

5: higher load density with the best powders.

6: 260 cases feed much more reliably than the 284 case in repeating rifles.

The nice thing about 6.5s is that you don't need to run super high velocity to get good ballistic performance compliments of high BC bullets. The windage numbers aren't that big of a spread between the two.

My 2nd pick would either be the 260AI or 6.5x55.

Don't let me talk you out of the 6.5-284. Everyone is attracted to different qualities for different reasons. Everyone can put up with some negative qualities more than others. If you feel you need the extra down range oomph and that's more important to you than other factors, then you should go with a 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 or a 6.5 SAUM for that matter.