Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

Calibration Defense| Anybody ever try it?

I have traffic court tomorrow and am prepared to attempt the calibration defense. Has anybody ever tried it and what was the outcome. (The deputy had not calibrated his radar since oct 10 2014) I may not win but at least I will get my moneys worth.

Have all your info together and be able to articulate what you need to say as concisely as possible. Dress like you belong there and be as polite and professional as you can. Sounds like you should get off on this one.

You're good to go. Like mentinoed above. Suit and tie, respectful demeanor. They are supposed to be calibrated prior to shift. Like checking the oil in the vehicle prior to every shift....hardly anyone actually does it.

Anyone who says anything differently hasn't used one. Just becuase it's not calibrated dosen't mean it's off but it leaves the possiblity for error.

Just curious. Were you actually speeding and now trying to get off on a technicality or were you not exceeding the speed limit and actually believe you are innocent of all charges?

Just curious. Were you actually speeding and now trying to get off on a technicality or were you not exceeding the speed limit and actually believe you are innocent of all charges?

It was an area where it goes from 65 to 45 with no warning and I was in the process of braking. I took a lesson I learned from the City of Tucson when I watched a cop hit a person in the face with a fire extinguisher and it went to court. That is to fight everything. If you want my money you are going to work for it.

• Like 4

How did it go today?

I put the wrong Tuesday in my calendar, It is next Tuesday, which is good because it gives me more time to prepare. I have learned a great deal in the last several hours of studying. I may not win but I will go down fighting.

• Like 1

I am on the fence on this one. If you were braking, the cop could have given you a warning depending on how far past the sign you were and how hard you were trying to brake.

On the other hand, you WERE admittedly speeding, and therefore know you were in the wrong. If the cop wasn't there, how hard would you have been braking? No reason to fight the ticket if you know you were in the wrong. You got caught, so pay the price.

This is one of the reasons why court costs are high. People who are knowingly in the wrong trying to avoid blame. The cop was doing his job. A technicality should not discount that fact.

• Like 3

I am on the fence on this one. If you were braking, the cop could have given you a warning depending on how far past the sign you were and how hard you were trying to brake.

On the other hand, you WERE admittedly speeding, and therefore know you were in the wrong. If the cop wasn't there, how hard would you have been braking? No reason to fight the ticket if you know you were in the wrong. You got caught, so pay the price.

This is one of the reasons why court costs are high. People who are knowingly in the wrong trying to avoid blame. The cop was doing his job. A technicality should not discount that fact.

If you really think about how many laws did you break going to work this morning. Maybe you took a little longer to put your seat belt on and drove down the road a bit with out it. Then you exceeded the speed limit slightly to stay with traffic. Or you changed lanes without using a blinker. All Violations.

the intent of a fine is to make sure that you recognize the results of your actions and not do them again. Not to fund a new fleet of vehicles, if the punishment fit the crime and did not fund the exaggerated luxuries of today's government than I would happily pay it. These days though the only one with excess money is government and I will not give them more than I have to. Of course I will not intentionally speed and no fine will change that. With all that being said if you represent government you should do it with pride and follow the procedures placed in front of you. My ticket looked like it was written by a fifth grader just learning cursive and my original court date was set for Memorial Day. I am expected to follow the rules and procedures of society so should the people enforcing those rules.

• Like 1

Exactly...DUI offenders are the worst. Driving while drunk then they get a lawyer to try to get off on a technicality. Bunch of BS

The argument is if the manner of enforcement was flawed not if he was speeding. Yes you shouldn't have been speeding and that is that- black and white. However, in this senario the officer has to prove the method of enforcement is beyond reproach and without doubt.

It's simple law- OJ Simpson was acquitted because a detective lied. The trial was not about murder but a result of it. Of course he was guilty too.

So what if IDGAF is using the law to his advantage. Officers do the same- we all have that right however officers are expected to have it right every time.

Exactly...DUI offenders are the worst. Driving while drunk then they get a lawyer to try to get off on a technicality. Bunch of BS

in my younger years I got a dui, everyone in front of me in court seamed to do everything to piss the judge off. When it came my turn i politely told the judge I was guilty and sorry and thanked the cop for doing his job. I got the minimum( it was under 400 bucks) back then and I truly am glad for the life lesson I learned. Plead not guilty and still get found guilty and they usually hit you with the maximum they can give you. But the police have to follow the rules to. Good luck in court.