Sign in to follow this  
NYAZHunter

Honoring my father

A day before fathers day and my thoughts and memories of him are weighing heavily on me today . The man who, taught me to shoot , to gut a deer , to tie a swivel to my fishing line ,to bait a hook and to be the man I am is gone for 10 years . Not sure why today is so painful, maybe it is my getting older . My father was a crusty and cantankerous gentlemen with a hidden heart of gold. I will never forget his reaction on my killing my first deer , I think he was never prouder of me than at that moment . He was on original NRA safety instructor and in our rural area , gave the class 20 plus times a year and he let my brother and I listen in on every one of them. I am not sure what the course is today , however for him he lectured/taught and then there was a 20 question test. Sometimes , he would include shooting in it as well. He hated it when 'city slickers' showed up at the door and asked to take the class so they could get their license. He taught me well , because I am an asshat about gun safety. I have passed his teachings on to my children and grandchildren.

Tomorrow , the family will share stories of him and his ways and some tears will be shed and I will wish he was still around so I could ask for his advice , the same advice I wanted no part of as a kid. It amazed me as I got older , the old man got smarter.

This one is for 'Oak'.

• Like 8

today would be my ol' man's 87th birthday. been gone a little over a year. every day i think of something i wanna tell him. to all the old timers that have taken the trail over the mountain, hang in there till we catch up. Lark.

• Like 4

NYAZHunter you made me ball up a little bit. I understand what you are thinking. My father passed this year, much of my life he was a good example of what not to do. But at the beginning of my life and the end of his we were there for each other and wouldnt give that up for the world. He taught me to hunt, fish and to adapt what else do you need. Til our next fishing trip father.

post-4480-0-11029800-1434834978_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Jim , Here's a tribute to You for being a great dad and a great tribute to your DAD. I am lucky enough that I can still talk to mine. He even called Me 3 days ago. Can't remember the last time that happened. He is pretty low key.I will talk to him tomm in PA. where He will be 95 Sept. 19th. Growing up in Erie, PA. we were poor and had 4 sisters and me. He allways found a way to go hunting and drug Me along. Thank God. Left the 4 girls behind.Started out shooting groundhogs. And lotssa small game. Then deer. He's been good till the last year , now starting to really slow down. I guess He's allowed to do that now! Happy fathers day Dad and lets have a few more..........BOB!

• Like 3

NyAzHunter sounds like you had a pretty awesome father. He taught you well.

This is a difficult father's day for myself - My dad is on hospice care right now in his last days from glioblastoma brain cancer. He doesn't have long and my brother is down with us here in prescott from ND also. Pretty difficult times. But we'll cherish every moment we have with him. My dad taught us to hunt as well and has been such a great father to us. Nicest guy you'd ever meet and just sucks this happened to him at an early age of 61. That's life though. Dad's a strong believer in the Lord and he knows where he's going.

• Like 3

Wow! My dad will be 81 in August! He had been struggling for a year and a half since Mom died. They were lovers for 53 years!

I notice lately he has been doing very well. I realized he wants to be needed by the family . Lately my Bro and I have had him helping our kids and doing some extra things for us. He really has perked up and is ready to live 15 more years!

Oh I have so much too say about him. He bought one of the first compounds bows by Tom Jennings and would used it all the time . He would take my bro and I archery deer hunting all the time with our Bear recurves he had bought us! We would go up on the Indian Rez and have a blast . He gave me the love for the hunt!

He taught me the first born the business and I taught my brothers. He always said when you get married I want you to be able to support a wife and kids! Thanks Dad , You did and I can!

Thank you Dad for loving my Mom and loving your 4 children and setting an example for us Kids! Your awesome !

I don't know how much time I got left with my Dad but I'm going to make the most of it !

• Like 2

NyAzHunter sounds like you had a pretty awesome father. He taught you well.

This is a difficult father's day for myself - My dad is on hospice care right now in his last days from glioblastoma brain cancer. He doesn't have long and my brother is down with us here in prescott from ND also. Pretty difficult times. But we'll cherish every moment we have with him. My dad taught us to hunt as well and has been such a great father to us. Nicest guy you'd ever meet and just sucks this happened to him at an early age of 61. That's life though. Dad's a strong believer in the Lord and he knows where he's going.

My heart and prayers are for you and your family and your Father!

• Like 1

My heart is heavy with all of you posting on here. My dad died last year at the age of 53. Today I wondered if you can ever stop grieving. My answer was "no." I spent the morning looking through his hunting & fishing gear, still the same way he kept everything. I imagine this is a difficult time for anyone who has experienced the loss of their parent. I pray for peace for those that are grieving.

• Like 2