Sign in to follow this  
Maverick351

Any one use a tree stand?

I apologize to the OP as I kind of got off subject here.

I killed this buck out of a hang on tree stand with 6 sets of climbing sticks of 3 steps each attached to the tree approximately 20 feet off the ground. The tree stand was not mine and had just been put up a couple weeks before the hunt. The only thing i would do different with this stand or any stands for that matter is use chains and turnbuckles to hold it rigid to the trees with no fear of straps failing. I had on a safety harness that I shorten so when I lean out I can feel it holding me back. Just me but it feels like im more apart of the tree that way.

I wear rubber boots to the stand spayed down with a scent killer. Im in the stand and settled 30 minutes or better before daylight. Place your stands in travel corridors so that you can approach them from down wind. I like 20 yards off of a scrap or run where another tree can hide me from where I think a deer will approach from.

Using trees stand can be very successful. I've killed a fair number of eastern whitetails out of them a few elk and even a Coue's buck.

Have fun and good luck with them.

No not a lineman. Just a regular electrician that does about 95% commercial and 5% residential. It seems like I live in the rafters, on roof tops, and in bucket trucks. I much prefer 480v 3 phase and conduit over 120v and romex.

• Like 2

the problem that I have with the rubber boots is my dang feet get cold! I think I'm going to purchase a pair of insulated boots and just use them when I sit a tree stand.

A couple things you can do for that, I found some -40° artic socks on amazon for I think $12 for two pairs. Their so heavy and thick I can't even fit them into my regular boots. They also sell insulated boot sole pads and of course they make insulated rubber boots.

One of the biggest problems with cold feet when ambush hunting is either a.) having your feet right on the ground in a blind or b.) on the metal grating in a treestand. If you carry a carpet scrap with you, you can put that under your feet as a barrier between you and the ground. The ground is worse than the treestand, but both the cold earth and the cold metal will suck the warmth out of your feet in a hurry. One of my buddies I hunt with carrys a welcom mat to put his feet on for this reason, plus it helps keep your feet quiet if you have to stand up or shift position.

I wear rubber boots in and when its cold /freezing out I put boot blankets over them with hand warmer on the toe of the boot. toasty warm all day long.

Thanks guys, tons of great advice!! My buddy let me use his body heater, it was nice! Have you guys used them?

I haven't used one of those, but my buddy I hunt with in Nebraska swears by using a thermacell without the insect repellant cartridge in it. He pops that in his hand muff and says it has his hands sweating all day.

I borrowed his Sitka Gear hand muff when I was out there this fall and that thing is friggin awesome! It kept my hands so warm I'd have to pull them out from time to time to let them cool off. I had the wife get me one for Christmas this year.

I have been wondering about the Sitka Gear, wether it is worth the price. I can't believe how expensive it is!! I almost purchase the vest last month but couldn't get past the $189 price tag.

Ive acquired a half dozen or so items from them since 2007. One piece at a time. I think its the best stuff on the market. All my sitka stuff is in tact and still in use, no matter what thick, thorny nasty heck holes I crawl through. I had to do a patch job to the crotch of oneof my pairs of pants after ggetting snagged trying to cross over a barbed wire fence one time, but considering what could have gotten snagged, I just thank sweet baby jesus th as t it was very cold that day and I only had to stitch my britches. 10 degress warmer and I might not have lived to type these words.

Any how, pants and everything else are still good and in service, and these days I crawl under the dang fences.