Sign in to follow this  
mbiewer

MUDBUGS!

So heading up to Bear canyon lake this weekend. It occurred to me, time to dust off the ol' traps and try to help eradicate a nuisance (or fill my belly at least).

I know woods canyon has them, but I never trusted leaving my traps out overnight. Has anyone had any luck up north? was gonna try cat food or cheap tuna in my traps this weekend to see what happens.

I hope that if I set them up at an easily accessible spot, I can check them if we can manage to camp withing walking distance to the lake on the eastern edge.

• Like 1

We used to trap crawdads quite a bit. Bacon was always our bait of choice

• Like 3

Bear Canyon is chock-full of crawdads/crawfish/crayfish. They are all over! If you leave your fish on a stringer, they will get destroyed by the little buggers. We found a creel was the best method for keeping the fish relatively safe. Best bait for us? The fish heads/guts. They will fill your traps in no time. No need to leave traps out over night - they will fill up twice during the day, if you out them out in the early morning and clean them out around midday. No use throwing them deep, either. Keeping them shallow allows you to watch them fill up!

• Like 3

well, aside from getting kicked out of camp for using my old method (catfish bait, peeeeew-weeee)... theres some that would run me out of camp for putting bacon in the trap as well. ha ha

I like the trout tactic, but .... requires the ability to catch fish. If it wasn't for the seafood section at fry's ... I wouldn't bet on it. Hopefully we can catch some fish on Saturday and change the bait for that. I was hoping for something to throw in there early in the morning and get the kids excited about checking them when they start to get the mid day numbness

chicken skin works well too. don't have to worry about wasting bacon or catching fish

when done cook them up in tequila once the tequila steams through them and cooks most the way off a quick sautee with butter, garlic, and cilantro or parsley and you will no longer worry about if you caught fish or not that day!

I think fish head and guts always seemed to fill the traps faster but never had a problem using so many other things from Hot Dogs to liver ... Using Bacon would have been sacrilege!

• Like 1

I've used tuna cans with holes punched in the top on Knoll lake. Worked pretty well, although might be best if you plan to leave it out overnight. Didn't seem to fill up as quickly as fish guts might have.

I am from Louisiana and we would go to Popeye's and get some fried chicken. After eating the chicken we would take the bones and put them in our traps and catch a chit load of mudbugs. You fill your belly with chicken and waist nothing to catch them. Never tried the Colonel's. Maybe the 13 herbs and spices might be better. B)

• Like 2

Nice thread guys.. something I'm wondering though.

Is it LEGAL to use fish parts from game fish for bait for these critters?

I am not sure. Regs address some of that but not clear when trying for crawdads.. Many an LE guy can advise.

Capt. Don Martin

Hot dogs and fish guts have always worked good for us. Last year we caught 103 in two days at woods canyon. We did leave 3 traps out over night too with no issues that trip. Sorry I don't know how to post pictures on here with my phone.

I'm gonna try willow. Where's a good place to buy a couple traps?

I'm gonna try willow. Where's a good place to buy a couple traps?

I have had a few traps for a while now that I got at sportsmans pretty cheap. I catch them pretty good at willow with chicken liver or fish guts if I can catch fish. I will be at Willow This weekend, hope to catch a bucket full!

well don't tell the girlfriend.... I picked up two more taps last night. Sportsmans has them. I got two of the 8.99 ones. But there's a bigger one for 22. I had two traps before. Luckily for me, never opened my fat mouth when I told her "I've got crawfish traps I wanna try with the kids". Ha ha. Wont have to hear the "what did you buy now speech".

Az reg says 12x24 max size.

What I went into sportsmans for was a solution to a feeder. Read online that if you can slow down their eating, it will keep them in the trap longer, and attract more. Probably poke holes in the tuna cans and just go with that.

She was a good sport when we met up at the grocery store later. tuna, canned cat food, hotdogs, sardines, and chicken livers. Turn it into a science project for her two kids at the lake! ha ha

• Like 1

we hit the mother load at crosby crossing a few years ago. must have caught 3-400 in a couple hours. nearly filled a 10 gallon turkey fryer to the top. man are they tasty boiled up with some old bay and dipped in butter

• Like 4