Sign in to follow this  
drebo1212

Calling Mule Deer

Hi. I am newer to archery hunting, started archery deer two years. I wanted to see thoughts on a deer call I bought. The Deer talk call. I have heard people have had success and some haven't. I am not looking to call deer in but maybe just get them to stop or stick around longer if spooked. Any thoughts or tips?

I have called in many mules with a varment call and rattling but never with a deer call, then again never tried

• Like 1

It depends on the circumstances. My experience with a call is if a buck has does he likely won't respond. The ones I have called were the ones with their noses to the ground smelling out a girlfriend. If you can find one of those you can often call them into bow range. They are pretty stupid during the rut.

As to stopping them....I have seen AZSlim hit a call and deer almost turn inside out stopping. It works well sometimes.

Its a roll of the dice. Ive seen it go both ways. A lone rutty buck trolling for a doe will stop on a dime to a call. Ive also pulled in does that had a buck rutting them come into a fawn distress. Ive also had em run out of the country to calls. Id rather go oblivious to the deer though.

I burped at a big mule deer buck last January. He wheezed then grunted then walked right to me.

• Like 3

I've grunted in a few bucks with just my voice. I have that cam call but it never seems to work for me.

The first time I ever tried call a deer i was in Coues country. Like a fool ,stood up on a boulder so the bleat would carry and with in 3 seconds out of nowhere a nice 3x3 came darting at me. My bow was on the boulder. If it was in hand I would of had a shot. I may have said this before here ,but any time You call anything be ready instantly. Called in foxes within 10 seconds. Every scenario is different, but allways be ready.....BOB!

• Like 3

That is definitely a situational question. How a buck reacts to a call depends on his mood, pressure put on him by other hunters, stage of the rut, WHEN you blow the call, etc...... I think the key with calling deer is timing and to not over call them. I don't have a ton of experience calling deer, but have listened to quite a few other guys talk about it that do have a lot of experience. A few years back I used a bleat can call and called a doe right to me. Lost light and the buck never followed. He was occupied with about 8 other does. Hope this helps.

chances are you'll blow the stalk anyway.... just give it a try.

James

• Like 2

During the rut, I like to get between the buck and his does and make a grunt, sometimes just with my voice. He will think a buck is trying to steal his ladies and come check it out. I have 2 decent racks on my wall using that method and I've only been doing for like 3 years..

• Like 1

I have the same call and have called in several does. I have never had the opportunity to call in a buck though so can't say if it works. I have rolled my window down on my running truck and had does come up within 10' of my truck a couple times (coues and muleys). I used it once at the rim on the north side of the grand canyon with about 20 people standing around and called in a doe. Most of the people were tourist and freaked out that a deer came running right through everyone to my call.

I don't ever late archery hunt but if I did I would use it to try calling in does with hopefully a buck tagging along. Almost like calling for bulls during the elk rut.

If you practice with it you can master the call imagine a deer grunting while digging or making a scrap his hooves hitting the ground uuhg uuhg uhg pause uhgg uhgg uhg and then a longer uuuuuhg not to loud as every one i have herd try this after learning works in december for mule deer. in January you want to do a bit softer uhg uuuuhg uuuuuhgowa sound works ok . during the peek of the rut a calln will stop a buck on a dime or you can grunt with your mouth as that will stop them as well . best of luck ( chief whitetail hunter)

I have used the Tally Ho call for years when hunting mule deer.

Typical scenario is that I sneak into an area and glass and see if I can find anything.

If I see nothing, then I use the Tally Ho!

Works on does for sure. I think it appeals to their maternal instincts. Had em come in on the run even though they had fawns by their sides!

In 20+ years have called in just 4 bucks by themselves with this call.

But have called 100's of mule deer in with it. If the bucks are with the does, they come in, but are only following the girls.

Great archery tool for the January hunts.

Have called in deer to within 15 feet, but the "secret" is that they have not seen you. Have found that if they see you, they aren't coming in. Just my experience.

Have used it in the past to call in not only mule deer, but elk, javelina, bobcats, foxes, coyotes and even TWO mountains!

Awesome call...like my VISA card, never leave home without it!

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

• Like 1