lcyardball

San Carlos Fall (August) Unit B - Bear

I have the August bear tag in unit B, this is my first time hunting the reservation. Based on everything I have heard, it should be a good hunt. I attempted to scout it on Friday and Saturday but one of the main roads going in was closed because of the firewall. I will likely get one more chance to near the end of the July to scout. If anyone has previously had this tag and it willing to share information go ahead and ping me. Here are some of the questions I have:

- I will be pulling a pop up, are there good spots to camp with solid cover.

- What type of terrain are we working with.

- What type of feed is distributed throughout the unit.

- Where are the bears :)

I should be able to answer most of these questions on my next scouting trip but since they isn't a public land bear hunt I figured there may be a chance someone would lend a hand with some helpful information. Thanks

I am not really kidding on what I am about to say. The easiest way to shoot a bear on San Carlos. Camp by the river, Sleep in, Do a little fishing. Start Breakfast around 800 using propane. Make Maple bacon and eggs leaving one propane burner on. You will have your choice of bears

• Like 4

I'll add some questions. Is a tag needed to scout? Is scouting only valid during a certain time period? Is there a way to camp as a way to scout instead, and do you need a permit for that? How about hiking permits? What are the different ways one can scout legally?

like ronin said, buy a small game permit or recreation pemit, whatever. look for slopes with a lot of prickly pear cactus. they need to have fruit on them. if they don't have fruit then look up higher in the acorns and see if the acorns made this year. right now the fruit will be green but will be turning red/purple in a month or so. the fruit is like candy to them, they love it

HUNTED THIS UNIT THREE YEARS GOT A SICK CHOCOLATE BEAR

TERRAIN IS ALL HI DESERT GOING UP INTO PINES IN SOME AREAS A QUOTE TO REMEMBER ON THIS HUNT AND ALL OTHERS REALLY.

"THE BEARS ARE IN THE PEARS" IF THIS IS A YEAR THAT PRICKLY PEARS ARE ROTTEN HAVE FUN THEY WILL STAY OUT IN THEM TIL MIDDAY GORGING ON THEM

IF NOT YOUR WASTING YOUR TIME.

We used to kill a ton of bears in Skunk and Dead Man, and the valley running up to Chirichua Butte (Dehorn)... Great stuff with lots of bears!!