naturegirl

For a second I thought I was seeing my first mountain lion

I'm was trying out my spear when I heard rocks falling. I've heard this sound before and typically it's sheep so I'm looking up the cliff and I see nothing. I hear more rocks falling and it's a lot of rocks, not just a rock here or there like is typical with sheep. I'm quickly scanning up, down, right and left when I locate this long tan tail.

post-5072-0-03077800-1435797432_thumb.jpg

My heart starts beating faster as I'm saying to myself "It's a mountain lion, it's a mountain lion" all the while grabbing my camera. Then this THING peeks out from behind a bush.

post-5072-0-08019100-1435797512_thumb.jpg

I've heard of Coatimundi, but this is the first time I've seen one. Very very cool sight to see and such an odd looking creature.

post-5072-0-15647600-1435797568_thumb.jpg

wow, those are rare to see

Theres a big dead tree in a canyon in southern az that we saw a whole bunch of lounging like monkeys in the sun,have also seen them a lot in madera canyon.they are cool animals to watch.

• Like 1

It was very noisy. Not sure what it was doing. It was very large to my untrained coati eye. The things I see from a kayak are amazing!

I'm glad I got pics since i was questioned with "Are you sure it wasn't a ring tail?" I'm like no see its a desert ant eater dog-looking thing :)

That's one Big Ol male Coati! I would love to get that on the wall!

They are cool creatures to watch and a very curious animal. I have had huge groups of up to 20 plus come in close to check me out. The babies are fun to sit and watch, they are so playful and remind me of kittens playing.

They can be obnoxious around camp at night. like raccoon's they get into everything they can get their paws on. LOL

Im thinking your Coati was probably grubbing much like a bear will. Roll over rocks looking for some bugs, grubs or moths to eat.

Cool Pic's Christina, keep em comin!

He looks similar in size to the one I shot with my bow awhile back. It's awesome to see them in the wild. I've got a couple spots I see them regularly at. Weird looking for sure

Aren't the big males usually almost black? The males are alone every time i've seen them and that one appears to be? I shot one a few years ago that probably weighed 30lbs. Had a pack attempt to ransack our camp one time. Didn't end well for them. They are nasty suckers to skin.

In the 1970s, when I did a lot of varmint calling, there was a period when coatis were all I seemed to bring in. After a biologist who was studying them in the Huachuca Mountains reported a sudden die-off from rabies, I made it a point to call at elevations below the oak/grasslands where I had been seeing them, and was surprised to find them in the dry washes around the Black Hills north of Oracle Junction. -- Bill Quimby

On a recent elk hunt I saw a pack of about 30 north of Camp Verde

I'm wondering if they tend to stay in the same areas or not? Might I see him again? I'd at least like a better picture.

He was light colored - tan color. My guess is more like 50+ lbs. He seemed as big as my lab who is about 70ish lbs.

It's very cool so many other people have seen them. They are very unique