Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Don Martin

So you wanna go striper fishing? Here are dates available with Striper Hunters on Lake Mead

After a smoking June fishing out of South Cove on Lake Mead, the striped bass fishing has slowed down because of the monsoon.

We are still catching from 60-75 fish a night, and I suspect many anglers would be plenty happy with that.

Here are the dates that I have open in July.

And remember, kids under 18 (up to two kids) fish for FREE in July.

Here is how a "typical" trip goes with Striper Hunters.

You arrive at Martin's El Campo De Pescado in Meadview around 5 p.m.

My intern, Laura Borden will have dinner made. After eating, we'll do the required Lake Mead National Recreation Area and AZ G&F paperwork, then we'll check out your gear (replace your fishing line if needed) paint the rod tips WHITE so you can see them better, cut up bait, load up the boat and head to South Cove.

We'll launch and then head out to one of fishing holes where we will put out the Hydro Glow green LED fishing lights, and set up the four clamp on lights we use to illuminate the rods.

Got 5 gallons of "Capt. Don's Secret Sauce" we use for chum.

We suggest all anglers use TWO rods/reels to increase catch rate. We do have good loaner rods/reels for those that need them.

We typically fish until 5 a.m., that's when the shad and stripers move out into deeper water.

We head back to South Cove, load up the boat and head to the house.

At the house we unload everything out of the boat, ice down the fish, and pull the boat outside where Laura will pressure wash it.

While it is drying, you have a choice, breakfast now or take a 4 hour nap and have it then. Our master bedroom has air conditioning, the others rooms are comfortable.

When we get up, we go out and sort out the catch, weigh them, and put em on the Grip N Grin board.

Then Laura and I will start fileting the catch. Someone else will be asked to rib the filets.

After this is done, Laura will wash and pack your fish in gallon Ziploc bags and we'll get them on ice.

You need to bring a decent size ice chest to hold all of the filets--you get to keep every fish that is caught!

We have two showers at the house, so you can take a shower, get cleaned up before your drive home if you wish.

You will usually leave between 2-4 p.m.

However if you want we have a second option.

When we get back, we can sort and weigh the fish, photograph them, and then filet the catch. Then you can head home.

I don't really recommend that as you will be tired from fishing all night. Remember, safety first.

We furnish, bottled water, snack and Powerade or Gatorade during the trip. If you want soft drinks, we'll get them too and have them for your trip.

Your are welcome to bring your own drinks, however.

NO ALCOHOL is allowed on the boat, no exceptions! This is due to insurance regulations!

Right now I have the following dates open in July.8th, 9th, 14th, 15th,20th, 21st, 22nbd, 23rd, and the 24th.

Also 27th, 28th, 29th, and 30th.

Note, we fish until around August 15th and do have openings in August. Call for availability.

Cost of a trip is $450 for one or two adults. Add two more adults for $100 each. That works out to be just about $163 per person for this trip.

I can be reached by email at info@striperhunters.com or by cell at 928-303-9481.

You pick a date, and the folks you want to fish with, and let's go fishing on Lake Mead!

Capt. Don Martin

Striper Hunters

A proud sponsor of CouesWhitetail.com

We get some nice catfish besides stripers!

post-11017-0-74327200-1435824668_thumb.jpg

Capt. Martin got this nice cat that weighed 5 lbs. 6 oz.

post-11017-0-09986500-1435824706_thumb.jpg

Our Intern Laura Borden has the largest cat of the summer, a lunker that weighed 6 lbs. 8 oz. It was full of "Don's Secret Sauce" chum!

June was an AWESOME month! We had trips of 196, 199 and 204 fish!

post-11017-0-13048600-1435824763_thumb.jpg

This was the catch for Team Lippert who came all the way from Tucson to fish with us.

post-11017-0-64230400-1435824802_thumb.jpg

The Presmyk family from the Verde Valley came up and caught a lot of fish!

post-11017-0-23913800-1435824842_thumb.jpg

Team Tinnin from Bagdad each fished with just one rod/reel but put on a show catching 204 fish!

Kids catch fish too!

post-11017-0-56218800-1435825248_thumb.jpg

9 year-old Jacob Parrott took advantage of the great June bite and caught 25 fish on his own!

post-11017-0-97732600-1435825271_thumb.jpg

12-year-old Blake Eli was no slouch when it came to catching fish on the Tinnin trip!

Our first 250 fish trip in many years! John McKeehan is from Missouri and an awesome angler, and his friend Beatrice and her son Dean, along with Laura and I caught 250 stripers in 7 hours of fishing!, Now a lot of them were smaller fish, but these are really good eating size.

post-11017-0-57736200-1435825717_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-02159100-1435825430_thumb.jpg