Sign in to follow this  
bwp22

Peep Sight Picture

So we were having a discussion this morning at work about what your sight picture is when looking through your peep sight. I have always centered my sight housing in my peep sight so the peep sight covers the ring around my sight housing. A couple of guys I work with stated that they will center the individual pin that they are shooting in the middle of their peep. Out of curiosity, how do you guys do it? Are there any advantages of one over the other? My assumption is it doesn't matter as long as you are consistent. Thoughts?

Guest akaspecials

I center the pin. I feel like I get a better field of view and focus better on the target.

That being said, I think centering the housing will probably get you more consistent results because there is less room for error centering a big circle in the middle compared with a tiny pin..

Most guys use a peep that when looked thru is a match to the circumfrence of the sight housing allowing a true center to view all pins.

• Like 1

I have always centered the individual pin, this allows me to shoot with a smaller peep and achieve better accuracy for me personally.

I believe the majority of archers center the sight housing/ring and that is is the recommended method as well.

I've had this discussion with many people and I seem to be the odd man out usually.

• Like 1

I do both, single pin sight. Lol never thought about it though, I always went on housing when I had multi pins.

This probably speaks to what kind of a shooter I am, but I've never even thought about this before.

Given that buck in your avitar id say you do alright!

quote name="TOBY" post="570107" timestamp="1436200848"]Most guys use a peep that when looked thru is a match to the circumfrence of the sight housing allowing a true center to view all pins.

The peep I have seems to fit the circumference of my sight and is pretty easy to tell if its centered. I guess its the way i learned how to shoot and have always done it that way. I didnt even realize that some guys would center the pin instead until recently. The guys I work with who center the pin are both fantastic shooters so I guess its just about what you are comfortable with and practice with.

This came to light not long ago for me. I always centered the pin but after a new string and larger peep I center the sight housing. I have tighter groups centering the site housing.

Everybody has their own way that works for them but I center the sight housing because I believe it leads to tighter groups. If you center the pin then you have to move your face in relation to the string for each pin. Being that I center the sight housing, my nose touches my string exactly the same and my eye looks through my peep at the exact same angle regardless if I am shooting 20 yards or 80 yards. Consitency is the key to tight groups. Just my two cents.

-Tracy

• Like 1

I don't know how to respond. When I first draw back I center the sight with the peep and check the level. Then I focus on the pin and the target. I don't know how my body adjust for different pins, never paid attention. I think for my 60 yard pin I am standing straight up and for my 20 yard pin I am bent slightly forward at the waist. I don't raise the bow up and down with my arm, I think I adjust pins by bending. Whatever I do it seems to work. So I guess I would have to say center sight rather than pin.