Sign in to follow this  
PCHunter

Alaskan Black Bear

Wow! Beautiful bear!

• Like 1

What a nice looking bear. Congrats to the hunter. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Nice! Guided hunt or a DIY non-resident blackie? Give us a story!

• Like 1

It was DIY non-resident but I have a buddy who lives in Anchorage that I went with. Flew into Anchorage the Thursday before Memorial Day and spent the night. My buddy and his son picked me up Friday morning and we drove down to Whittier where we met up with a "transporter" who had a large boat we stayed on and a small boat he hauled us around on. As a transporter, he is not allowed to guide or give advice to hunters. He only housed us and took us where we asked to go. He would drop us off about 7 AM and pick us up about 9:30 PM. Glassed this guy up about a mile away around 2:00 PM on Monday. He was feeding in an avalanche chute. Hustled down there and took me a while to find him again as he had moved up the canyon into another chute. Got across the canyon from him and made a 454 yard shot on him. He ran about 20 yards and went down. Got him back to where the boat picked us up at 11:30 that night.

Went back in there the next day and glassed up two bears in different spots right at the snow line in the same drainage. We got within 375 yards of one of them and my buddy's son shot at him but couldn't hit him. Went to a different spot on Wednesday and glassed up 3 more bears but they were moving and we couldn't get in in on them. Transporter hauled us back to Whittier on Thursday and flew home that evening. It was a blast. That is awesome country.

• Like 2

What a great looking bear congrats

• Like 1

in anchorage right now. only seen the sun once sense i've been here! saw black bear, moose & sheep so far. headed to seward tomorrow . hopefully i will see some marine life & zipline on Saturday before I come home. beautiful up here even if I cant see the mountains!

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

you cant put just one picture up!!!! its alaska we need more!

• Like 1

Sweet! I went to Seward once for four days, didn't get to go bear hunting, and can only say wow four days is not enough time. Absolutely beautiful bear!!!

• Like 1

Went to Alaska in the summer of 1990, stayed 4 months in the brush just outside Kenai. Went through 2 tents while visiting, trying to work in the fish canaries and tons of site seeing. Saw tons of bear just on the drive up, especially through BC, Canada. Would wake up in the morning peak our heads out of the tent and would have moose and caribou walking through camp. Alaska is BIG and beautiful, one day would love to go back for a hunt and fish trip.

Nice looking bear though, love the snow covered mountains in the back.

• Like 2

That is a beautiful bear! Congratulations. I spent a week in Alaska last summer fishing. Amazing country.

• Like 1

Beautiful bear, congrats! My boss lives in Anchorage and shot his first bear in the Sound the second week of May. Beautiful country up there!

• Like 1