Sign in to follow this  
dvl4lf

Jackpot!

CC got hit this morning twice. Once for me and again for my girls and their youth hunt. After a couple of long years of them putting in, they finally got drawn for elk and deer in the same year! Excited to take them out this fall. Should be a lot of fun!

• Like 6

Congrats to your girls. I'm in the same situation. My son drew a December cow tag and now a 3A/3C mule tag. He's out of his mind excited.

• Like 2

Congrats, sounds like a busy fall for you guys! Best of luck out there!

Cc hit. My son drew junior deer tag ans junior javelina tag in 33, plus he had a junior elk in 22. I drew 33 whitetail..... great year

Congrats! I too have two girls who are 10 & 8 and they both say they want to hunt with me. I took my 10 year old with on my elk hunt last year and to my surprise she was right next to my elk and the three in the next camp when we got them up in the tree. She was curious to watch the skinning and quartering. I gave her some disposable cameras and she took lots of pic of hanging elk. I may put her in next year if I can get her to start squeezing the trigger but this may be hard to do since she hates loud noises.

• Like 1

Congrats! I too have two girls who are 10 & 8 and they both say they want to hunt with me. I took my 10 year old with on my elk hunt last year and to my surprise she was right next to my elk and the three in the next camp when we got them up in the tree. She was curious to watch the skinning and quartering. I gave her some disposable cameras and she took lots of pic of hanging elk. I may put her in next year if I can get her to start squeezing the trigger but this may be hard to do since she hates loud noises.

Get her our shooting a 22lr and work up from there. The minimal sound and recoil probably won't bother her to much. IMO one of the worst things you can do when teaching a kid is have them start out should loud powerful guns before they have built up their confidence. Went this route with my now 10 year old son and got him his own 22lr to practice with when he turned 8. He has turned into a really good shooter. After a few years of practice, he isn't afraid to shoot any of my rifles. His rifle of choice is now my 300 RUM (with a brake).

• Like 2

That's funny, I have a 300RUM myself. She has shot the 22 and enjoyed it along with her sister. I have to make more time to get her out and start studying for the hunters safety course. I figure I'll work her up to shooting the AR and AK and if she gets comfy with those and still says she wants to hunt I'll get her a 243 or a 270. She really likes the idea of a bow which is something I never got into but have thinking I may so I can hunt deer close to home.

Get her our shooting a 22lr and work up from there. The minimal sound and recoil probably won't bother her to much. IMO one of the worst things you can do when teaching a kid is have them start out should loud powerful guns before they have built up their confidence. Went this route with my now 10 year old son and got him his own 22lr to practice with when he turned 8. He has turned into a really good shooter. After a few years of practice, he isn't afraid to shoot any of my rifles. His rifle of choice is now my 300 RUM (with a brake).

Solid advice. My dad thought it was humorous to have me shooting a powerful rifle at an early age and I grew up not wanting to practice much because I hated the recoil and the noise. It led to anticipating the recoil/noise and jerking the trigger rather than squeezing it. I mostly shoot archery as a result - nice and quiet, plus I can practice in my yard - but have tried to retrain myself over the last couple of years by going back to a .22 and working up. Not ideal considering my age, but better than just giving up. Doing it right from the beginning would've led to me enjoying hunting more throughout my life for sure.