Sign in to follow this  
OutdoorAviator

Fort Huachuca - December

Hey everyone. Pretty new here and wanted to see how everyone's draw went. I got first choice December on the Fort, curious if anyone has hunted Huachuca in recent years....? I've heard good things so far, I just need to make the drive from Yuma to go scout it out once or twice before the opener.

Thanks

If you're new to the area, you better find a way to go more than once of twice... I've never hunted down there, but azgfd.com will give you starting points that you can expand on once youre in unit. December hunts are hard to come by, you've got a golden ticket, don't waste it.

I shot a buck off of there a few years back. It's a fun hunt. Good place to kill your first coues. December tags on post are much easier to come by then off. Most coues hunters would give there left nut for a December coues tag but on post they have leftovers. That being said they pretty much manage for opportunity on post. Hence the large number of December tags. I shot an 80" 3pt and it was the largest buck taken out of 30 some bucks checked in that year with the exception of a 107" buck shot the day before. There are big bucks on there don't get me wrong, but it's a bit of a headache to hunt on there and the age structure is poor due to the tag numbers. Fun hunt though. Pm me for more info if you want. Thanks for your service!

I agree with pretty much everything yotebuster said above. I've been helping family members on the late Dec hunt there for the past 4 years and it seems that year after year the buck numbers have been on the decline especially the big bucks. I don't mean to get you down just want you to be prepared. Maybe it's just me but IMO as of now hunting on the base is just about as good as hunting on state land maybe a tad better and just like hunting state land you'll really have to work to find a buck over 100. Should still be an great hunt just not as good as it use to be. I'll be on the Fort helping again this year if you run into any trouble finding deer during the hunt shoot me a PM and I might be able to help. Good luck!

Subscribe to the FMWR Sportsman's Center Facebook page. They post open/closed range areas each week. Also be aware that some traditional good areas (T1, T2, T3) are now permanently closed due to unexploded ordnance. Also, Post access control points (the Gates) have changed this year. Think about Areas S, R, N.

Another good area is U but you better have good glass and ready to work. Good luck. As the other guy said all the T's are closed so hunting pressure will disperse to other areas cause lots of folks like to hunt the T's. I have always liked hunting that unit during that time frame after opening weekend when typically only the dire hards are left.