Mesabulls

24b December wilderness hunt

I drew a December wt rifle tag, and I'm considering a backpack hunt into the wilderness area. Has anyone on here done that, and what can I expect?

I chased the last wt into 24a last Feb.

Sorry.

• Like 2

Couple years ago we got stuck in our tent for 32 hours and almost lost my mind. Hail, snow, sleet, rain non stop. Was really nice after that but we only had 1 day to hunt. Edge Almost died in there last year. Maybe not almost died but almost missed heha reruns

• Like 3

Couple years ago we got stuck in our tent for 32 hours and almost lost my mind. Hail, snow, sleet, rain non stop. Was really nice after that but we only had 1 day to hunt. Edge Almost died in there last year. Maybe not almost died but almost missed heha reruns

Many erroneous statements;

1) It was this year...

2) I didn't almost die, I almost killed myself.

3) it's Hee Haw

Funny chit right there, but yeah, expect freezing cold rain, snow and temps. Brrrr

• Like 3

I packed in about 30 years ago,and killed a real nice whitetail with a rifle.Also did a archery pig hunt,where we killed pigs in the snow.This was around fish creek,haven't been back for years.

Congrats I drew same tag I am really stoked. I saw a coupe great bucks first 3 days jan this year but always wonder if I should walk in deeper. I hiked about an hour from truck knowone else around

• Like 2

Its very easy to lose the crowds in 24b without going real far. Ive killed a couple smaller deer with my bow and missed many opportunities at nicer ones. Great unit and theres plenty of solitude and deer In the superstition and surrounding areas. You'll have a good hunt.

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

Plenty of big deer back there. No one wants to hike in more than a mile or two. You can hunt low or high elevations. Just find water and be prepared for bad weather. I've lost the trail in those dang mountains due to snow more than once. Also been stuck in tents for some long boring days....

Looks like quite of few of us will be in 24B. Hopefully come September I'll have to donate my tag :)

Brian

• Like 1

A little advice for backpacking a unit you haven't been into...... Scout for water! If you find that then you are golden. Prepare for the conditions and you will be fine.