Sign in to follow this  
creed_az_88

Question on boots

Anybody using 7 or 8 inch high mountain boots? If so, do you feel like they provide you with enough support in steep rocky terrain with a moderate to heavy load? Also, do they protect your upper ankles from the annoying stickers that you get from the southern arizona grass? I usually wear 9+" high boots but some 7 and 8 inch hiker/backpacker boots have caught my eye. Anybody have any experience with em?

Thanks,

Creed

I have always worn 8" boots either Rocky or Danner and I'm part mountain goat. Last year I got a pair of Under Armour Boots, I think they are the Speed Freaks. They are also 8" but have little support and I don't care for them when going downhill as I can feel the lacing and eyelits against the bridge of my foot so I am looking again for something else.

I didn't see anything at either Sportsmans or BP this past weekend. These are Ok on flat ground but that's it.

I wear 8" Danners. Before I would wear more of the athletic type boot that UA puts out for their lightweight and and wanted to give these Danner boots a try. I got the uninsulated pronghorns and really like them. I've had cholla stuck on them and have never had felt them poke me thru the Danner boots. I couldn't say the same with the UA boots. I feel the support around the ankles is good to go with the pronghorns. So far I'm two seasons in with them and really like them!

I have ankle issues (surgically repaired) and have found that there isn't a boot out there thay gives me the level of support I need/want. I have gone to a 8" Danner and supplement it with an ASO ankle brace and found the combination of the two to work very well.

I have had ankle reconstruction and i wear kennetrek mountain extreme. They give me all the support i need in steep terrain even with an elk load on my pack. Great boots

I have had amazing luck with the Schnee's Beartooth 8" boot. The support they provide dwarfs the support that I used to get with the Under Armor and Danner boots I have previously used. They have also outlasted them both as well, and still seem to have quite a bit of life left in them. The thought of spending that much on boots is nauseating, but worth it in the long run.

Gaiters work to fend off the grass stickers. I have gortex which are a little warm and sweaty but they keep stickers out of your pants and provide a little protection from other sharp stuff.

I have had amazing luck with the Schnee's Beartooth 8" boot. The support they provide dwarfs the support that I used to get with the Under Armor and Danner boots I have previously used. They have also outlasted them both as well, and still seem to have quite a bit of life left in them. The thought of spending that much on boots is nauseating, but worth it in the long run.

It looks like they are 100% leather uppers so how hot are they and how much do your feet sweat. Are they noisey with the vibram sole?

It looks like they are 100% leather uppers so how hot are they and how much do your feet sweat. Are they noisey with the vibram sole?

Not too bad heat wise. I've worn them in the early archery hunts and never had a complaint. The boot themselves are pretty quiet but overall they make some noise because the Vibrams are super hard rubber, so lots of crunching, etc.i usually just slip on some Converse slip on's if possible for the last stretch of the hunt as they are super quiet. I'd still take them over a soft rubber though because those wear out WAY too fast.

I used to LOVE Danner boots when they were made in America, but now that they are made over sea's the quality has really gone down hill. I can barely get 2 years out of my boots. My last 2 pair shrunk after getting really wet. Very disappointing!!!!

• Like 1