camoremi

Bullet selection

Picked up a 300 win mag. Deciding what I want to try. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of trying 165gr federal premium bonded

What are your intents with the rifle? Any available pill from a 300 WinMag will let all of the air out of a Coues Deer. Probably several in a row if you lined them up.

For factory loads you may be served best by shooting a few different offerings to see what your rifle likes. I like big heavy for caliber bullets for their consistency in the wind and downrange energy.

• Like 1

Barnes Vortx in 165 gr.

The beauty of the 300wm is the versatile and bullet selection. The flat trajectory like a 7mm rem mag is a plus too :-) I don't know if this is one of those calibers where factory ammo is severely underpowered but if it is find a buddy to hand load

what rifle? what scope??

Ruger m77 300 win mag topped with a vortex viper hs 4-16x44mm

• Like 1

I'm looking at HSM Berger vld in 168gr

I haven't shot the HSM in .300 but I have used their factory loads in 7mm (168gr) and 25/06 (115gr) and they both shot lights out. I think Best of the West did a episode at their factory, well worth watching.

with midget deer the bullet doesn't matter as much as where you hit em. any bullet will rip right through one. with their small vitals, they always seem hard to kill to me. Lark.

• Like 2