camoremi

Bullet selection

I'm looking at HSM Berger vld in 168gr

this is a real good one for coues.

That's what I was thinking

Personally, I'd go Hornady 180gr Superperformance SST. Best round out there IMO.

. Will I have a coues left?

I'd go with the remington ammo loaded with the 180 gr swift scirocco.

• Like 1

a friend of mine shot a deer with a 270 hornady sst superformance and did more damage on meat than mine with a 300 win mag.

• Like 1

I'd go with the remington ammo loaded with the 180 gr swift scirocco.

Is that a factory ammo I can buy off the shelf? Or do I have to reload. I haven't got into loading yet.

Yes remington has a factory load. I reload my own and have used it on several coues bucks out to 500 yds. All fell where they stood and had very little meat damage.

I have a load I just worked up for my 300. I used to shoot 180s and went to Accu-bond 165s and I love em. Very consistent. This is a reload tho. I can let you try a few if you want.

• Like 1

a friend of mine shot a deer with a 270 hornady sst superformance and did more damage on meat than mine with a 300 win mag.

I'd have to ask how when shot placement was? Haven't hit a Coues yet with my .270 using the Hornady SST Superperformance, but there are 4 Antelope that have hit the dust using it. No issues with meat damage as the shots were well placed.

Personally, I'd go Hornady 180gr Superperformance SST. Best round out there IMO.

I'd say yes as long as the shot is well placed and it isn't close range with a .300 WInMag. There is quite a bit of energy screaming out of that thing at 50-100 yards, but at 500 yards (pretty common for Coues) I'd say you'll be just fine provided the shot is well placed.

I might get into reloading next year. But I may try that scirocco

I'd say yes as long as the shot is well placed and it isn't close range with a .300 WInMag. There is quite a bit of energy screaming out of that thing at 50-100 yards, but at 500 yards (pretty common for Coues) I'd say you'll be just fine provided the shot is well placed.

thanks bud

All of the rounds mentioned will certainly flatten a clues. My vote would be to try a few of the ones you fancy and let your rifle decide which one to shoot. (the one it shoots best)

The SST's have a thin jacket and occasionally get a bad rap from guys shooting them real fast at real close ranges and complaining when they hit a shoulder blade that detonates the bullet on impact.

Stay off the shoulders and you won't be hitting enough meat to matter how much it tears up.

I love the Scirroco's. They were one of the first bonded bullets with good ballistic coefficients. Their weak link is the jacket material has a tendency to copper foul a barrel pretty quick and lose accuracy. If you are only worried about Minute of Coues then you will be fine.

Let us know what you pick and your results.

Check out Applied Ballistics Ammo. http://www.buyabmammo.com/300-win-mag.html My buddy uses the 185gr juggernaut in handloads. He cleanly took a mule deer at 576 yrds, and a bull at 375 yrds last year. They also carry loads with the 185 gr. classic hunter. I use the 230gr in hand loads. We have have had good luck with the Bergers.

• Like 2

I'd have to ask how when shot placement was? Haven't hit a Coues yet with my .270 using the Hornady SST Superperformance, but there are 4 Antelope that have hit the dust using it. No issues with meat damage as the shots were well placed.

shot placement was good but i think he was closer than what he says.