Sign in to follow this  
jakehaffey

Picking out a scope

I recently bought a Weatherby Vangaurd S2 .270 for deer hunting and am shopping around for a scope to pair with it. I was looking into a few Vortex scopes like the Viper HS 6-24X50 and 4-16X50. I was curious what everyones thoughts were. Is the bigger scope too much? Is it worth getting into the HS LR scopes? I am not the greatest shot and never got into long range shooting but hope that this new setup will help me get comfortable shooting farther shots. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jake

there is a leupold VX3 for sale in the classifieds on this site that is a much better scope than the vortex you mentioned for about the same price.

• Like 2

i do not care for the 50mm objective. raises the scope too high off the barrel. then your head has to be way high off the stock or you have to install an adjustable check piece. i do like leup vx 3 scopes.

No they're not the best, but I like Vortex, both their product and how well they stand by it.

Is the bigger scope too much? Is it worth getting into the HS LR scopes? I am not the greatest shot and never got into long range shooting but hope that this new setup will help me get comfortable shooting farther shots.

A few things you need to ask yourself. Is this rifle just for hunting or do you have a desire to REALLY get into long range shooting? The LR commitment should be all or none. Do you have any limit on how far you would take a shot at live game? The 16x is plenty for taking 500 yard shots and less, and I think it combos nicely with the .270 in comparison to bigger LR calibers and more magnification. Finally, the reticle, do you plan on taking advantage of the complexity of the HS LR scope reticles? If not, this one person's opinion is you don't need it.

I also like Leupold, and do not think the 50mm objective is necessary. It gathers enough light to add a couple minutes to your shooting window, and that's about it.

• Like 1

I like the vortex every one has likes and dislikes as far as brand, so far my vortexes have been replacing all my other scopes. I have had no problems with any of them I have crossfire, diamondbacks, vipers, a gen 1 razor and now a razor gen2. for hunting I would want the 4x16 for the low end closer shots possibility. if you think your shots will be longer 100+ yards then the 6x is great.

The larger 50mm can be a problem if you are not willing to add a raised cheek rest. It is so easy to put on though, you can go with a store bought with Velcro straps, one or make one very easily.

As far as used glass, warranties may not be there for you. a few of them will cover you no matter what though.

• Like 1

I doubt that it transfers. I have owned quite a few Leupolds going back twenty years and have never had to send one in for warranty.

Doesn't matter if your the original owner. Check cabelas bargain cove. I picked up a vortex viper hs

4-16x44 for $380

post-12322-0-43640900-1438284875_thumb.jpg

The 4-16x50 is plenty for shots out to 1K+, and my furthest shot on a coyote was with this very scope...at 1327 yards. I think they are a fine entry level scope. But there are others out there that are far better, but at higher prices. You get what you pay for. And to get a true long range scope, be prepared to spend more money than the $550 price tag.

• Like 1

i passed up a vx2 in silver for 169 the other day at sportsman. so pissed at myself.... i didn't need it but I'm sure I could of held onto it for some other project. things like optics that prices can fluctuate so much and closeouts, clearance etc. I wouldn't limit myself to being hard set on one specific model, but open it up to a few and snatch up the best deal :-) You can seriously save over 50% sometimes

• Like 1

I have been looking into scopes also I have a night force a couple of vortex and a leupold . I am getting ready to buy a sightron scope to put on a 257 weatherby magnum a 6-24x50. I know some people that are using them and are very happy with them cant wait to get this gun set up for deer this year good luck.

• Like 1

I have the 6x24 ffp and I love it. 100yards and out with no problem. Can't go wrong with Vortex. JMO

I have the Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 LR on my Tikka 300wsm. My only complaint is the bottom end. I like a scope with a lower starting point. If I were to do it over I would get the VX6 3-18x50 or the VX6 4-24x52.

I have been looking into scopes also I have a night force a couple of vortex and a leupold . I am getting ready to buy a sightron scope to put on a 257 weatherby magnum a 6-24x50. I know some people that are using them and are very happy with them cant wait to get this gun set up for deer this year good luck.

heard a lot of good things about sightron. was watching someone dial in a shot with mrads and dang it was quite impressive how it held zero and the clarity

• Like 1