Sign in to follow this  
madx250

Wild Mustangs

Lots of small minds posting on this thread.You guys are concerned about the horses tearing up land that is open to jeeps quads or anything you want to ride.This land is already trashed from the offroad vehicles.The horses cost nothing to the taxpayer.But now they will cost us to round them up. There have been no known accident caused by these horses. In Minnesota last year there were 40,000 deer related auto accident. Should we kill all those deer? These horses down by the river have been there over 75 years. Frankly I don't care if they are Mustangs or what breed they are, after 75 years i think they earned their right to stay there.I agree they should be managed.Just dart all the stallions and geld em.There are less than 100 head down there. try really hard and think about how much public land we have to hunt in this state and tell me we can't afford to give a few square mile to them if you're worried about them pushing the deer off.I guess I am a little biased as I ride horses and mules and use them for hunting. Yea they eat money and shoot work but I got the money and I don't mind a little work.

The land these horses inhabit used to be open to OHV's. Not any more. Me, I'd rather encounter native wildlife. Every mouthfull a hayburner eats could have fed a native species. Public land managers can readily manage most species, not so with feral burros & horses. Facebook cowboys now control the range. Every politician in this state has folded like an umbrella on this issue. Where is the Center for Biological Diversity now?

I ONLY WISH WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT OHV WERE TRUE! Bulldog Canyon is OHV from any of the entrances .. you just have to get the gate codes each year, no big deal ... These horses are being made to be a much bigger deal by both sides... Horses on this continent may all be considered feral due to the way they were reintroduced to this land by the Spanish but after generations in the Wild and away from Human interference it is a bit arrogant to not consider them as wild... They are not going to come up to you while you hold a carrot out, and will trample the heck out of you if you walk to close to their young, and yes they will screw you up in some places while hunting, been in those shoes many times. However, they need managed properly and not just disposed of....

Lots of small minds posting on this thread.You guys are concerned about the horses tearing up land that is open to jeeps quads or anything you want to ride.This land is already trashed from the offroad vehicles.The horses cost nothing to the taxpayer.But now they will cost us to round them up. There have been no known accident caused by these horses. In Minnesota last year there were 40,000 deer related auto accident. Should we kill all those deer? These horses down by the river have been there over 75 years. Frankly I don't care if they are Mustangs or what breed they are, after 75 years i think they earned their right to stay there.I agree they should be managed.Just dart all the stallions and geld em.There are less than 100 head down there. try really hard and think about how much public land we have to hunt in this state and tell me we can't afford to give a few square mile to them if you're worried about them pushing the deer off.I guess I am a little biased as I ride horses and mules and use them for hunting. Yea they eat money and shoot work but I got the money and I don't mind a little work.

The land these horses inhabit used to be open to OHV's. Not any more. Me, I'd rather encounter native wildlife. Every mouthfull a hayburner eats could have fed a native species. Public land managers can readily manage most species, not so with feral burros & horses. Facebook cowboys now control the range. Every politician in this state has folded like an umbrella on this issue. Where is the Center for Biological Diversity now?

I ONLY WISH WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT OHV WERE TRUE! Bulldog Canyon is OHV from any of the entrances .. you just have to get the gate codes each year, no big deal ... These horses are being made to be a much bigger deal by both sides... Horses on this continent may all be considered feral due to the way they were reintroduced to this land by the Spanish but after generations in the Wild and away from Human interference it is a bit arrogant to not consider them as wild... They are not going to come up to you while you hold a carrot out, and will trample the heck out of you if you walk to close to their young, and yes they will screw you up in some places while hunting, been in those shoes many times. However, they need managed properly and not just disposed of....

Feral = domestic gone wild. So you suppose we should let domestic now feral dogs, goats, sheep, swine, cats, etc. be managed like wild horses & burros are on Federal & State lands too? Bulldog canyon ..... that's pretty weak. S8shot, I'll let you have the last word on this one. I know you desperately need it.
  • Like 3

Just think how different this whole conversation would be if we were talking about pigs/hogs. I see the horses as no different, matter of fact they are worse.They are pushing out the wildlife taking over areas that used to thrive with deer and other native wildlife, not to mention tearing up the landscape.

Again im not advocating whipping them all out but they do need to be managed and if these were pigs they would be hunted and none of you for the horses would even bat an eye for them. A small tag fee, removal of the carcass, with same requirements as for deer and elk and you have the state making money and fixing a serious problem with population control.

• Like 2

YAY! A group of people, some of whom don't even live in this state, without evidence, or rational F**thought, was able to postpone a conservation project designed to protect actual NATIVE wildlife. Way to keep up the degradation of our fragile ecosystem. And here's the best part: Very few of people against this spend the money sportsmen do to for conservation, yet, our passions are the ones being negatively effected the most. So you'll "save" them, but only when its on someone else dime. And thank you Mr. Governor, you truly are a flake, in name and in character.

• Like 1

YAY! A group of people, some of whom don't even live in this state, without evidence, or rational F**thought, was able to postpone a conservation project designed to protect actual NATIVE wildlife. Way to keep up the degradation of our fragile ecosystem. And here's the best part: Very few of people against this spend the money sportsmen do to for conservation, yet, our passions are the ones being negatively effected the most. So you'll "save" them, but only when its on someone else dime. And thank you Mr. Governor, you truly are a flake, in name and in character.

Hard to give a person who does not know that the Governor is not Senator FLAKE any credit .... I am born and raised in this state and spent more years in total time hunting and hiking the areas north and south of Saguaro and The Salt than most of the transplant hunters that hunt this state now days... Feral/Wild horses have always been in that country since i was a kid and there is still dang good Deer in that country too.... There is so much hypocrisy and ignorance in the hunting community, reminds me of religious people who want to pick and choose the parts of the bible they want to believe while looking past the parts that do not fit in their wheelhouse. To compare the 100 or so horses to feral pigs or other animals in other states is ignorant as well ... This was not sold to anyone as a conservation of NATIVE wildlife (that would be BS anyway IMO) it was sold as a public safety need #1... and they went about it the wrong way at the wrong time #2 ... There are many hunters in this state, just like me, who do not think that just killing and disposing of these animals is the proper way.....

last time I saw these horses they looked gangly and malnourished. Aren't they feral? Not wild

last time I saw these horses they looked gangly and malnourished. Aren't they feral? Not wild

Technically all North American Horses are feral even the the once wild Mustangs were considered feral .. you can argue semantics when it comes too the terms and where they have come from but that herd has been around a lot longer than FS is claiming and has breed in the wild for several generations... They have a mortality rate like any other living thing and die for many reasons... They say they have no Natural Predators but Over the years have seen several lion kills of young colts and seen coyotes eaten the carcasses of fallen horses in that area. I can tell you the ones up North in the Sitgraves NF are much healthier specimens and bigger pains in the butt when hunting !

they are endemic ....not indigenous! 90 % of these tards didn't even know they existed till last week....ill tell you who did know,all the native critters that have to compete with them for limited resources.I wonder which one they would trade for the horses.Somebody eventually is gonna get a hoof,they are feral and wild.....ever pet a rattlesnake!

Not just Bulldog canyon. Butcher Jones Recreation are is open to all offroad vehicles and is where many of the horses hang out.Ever been to Butcher Jones? I didn't think so.It looks like the Baja 1000 just went through there 10 times over.I fully understand the need to manage these wild horses just like our wild game but just saying kill em and making a joke about it makes hunters sound like a bunch of backwoods idiots. I'll bet many of the people on this thread have never laid eyes on them.I grew up with the and they don't hurt a dang thig.

• Like 2

The ignorance of many on this thread should not have surprised me.

The deer and elk do not compete for the same feed as horses.

Tear up the ground and destructive as wild hogs? You can't even compare the two. Hogs root for food and having them on your land like I saw them in east Texas, you'd think an army of drunks bulldozed your farm overnight.

Some of you scared of them? Lmao. Your more likely to trip over each others empty beer bottles.

Y'all relax.

• Like 2

I might be ignorant but I can read,i didn't see one comment that said they compete for the same feed as elk and horse.just native critters!

And another reason none of you yahoos will ever be allowed to hunt them, you can't tell the difference between a wild horse and one that just got away from its owner.