Sign in to follow this  
Will K

2015 AZ Bear

Its been a very demanding year so far at work to say the least. All i have been thinking about for the last three months was bear hunting in Gods country for a little stress relief. Now a lot of people think i am crazy for wanting to climb mountains in Arizona's 80-90 degree weather looking for a bear, but that's just the medicine i needed and have been waiting anxiously day to day for season to come.

Finally Thursday 8/6/2015 5:00 am off to work. This day starts no different than any other day at work. Very demanding and all i can think of is trying to get out early but nothing is going right. Finally after 11/2 hours of overtime i am off and headed up the mountain. I am excited and get to a high spot about a hour before dark and get behind the glass. Right away i spot a bear headed on a mission about 1000 yards out and the disappears in the scrub oaks. I continue to glass and find another bear about a mile out before dark and think to myself tomorrow is going to be a good day.

Friday 8/7/2015 4:00 am i'm up and ready to head out to my glassing spot. I end up having a 30 minute delay because of a brain fart that was really idiotic on my part but nerveless i get regrouped head out. I have to tell you guys getting older really sucks because my mind is telling my body to do things that it is not wanting to do. After a 45 minute huffing and puffing session i am behind the glass sweating my butt off from the sprint up the hill because i was running late. Its already light as i begin to glass i think to myself this is awesome. I spot two bears in scrub oaks about 1500 yards out. I keep watching these bears for about 30 minutes until they disappear. I begin to scan the area when i see a bear about 500 yards pop out of the top of a oak tree like a periscope. I laugh to myself and I continue to watch this bear for 30 minutes go through the top of the oak trees like a monkey. I was totally amazed by how this bear could go from tree to tree and just gorge itself on acorns. I really thought about shooting this bear in the top of the tree but it would just not stop moving and finally disappeared and i could not see it anymore. I keep glassing for a while when i see the bear cross a opening back into the oaks to my right. I say what the heck and turn the caller on full blast and the bear steps out into a opening on some rocks looking right at me. I range the bear and get on the gun and drop him on the rocks. I shot this bear at 7:40 am and did not get him packed out until 12:30 pm. As i sit at the truck from the brutal pack out i look back up into Gods country and thank God for all the blessing he gives us. I also want to thank Jeff, Mark and Raya i met up on the Mountain for helping me out big time.

Good luck to everyone and shoot straight.

Will K

post-725-0-57097900-1439268209_thumb.jpg

post-725-0-71625100-1439268276_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Awesome job! Sounds like you have a good spot there!

• Like 1

Nice story and bear. Looks big. Congrats ,hard work pays off................BOB!

• Like 1

Congrats on a nice Bear!

• Like 1

Very nice, Will!!!

• Like 1

3 year old Boar. Probably 200 lbs or so.

Almost exactly like my bear. He made a beautiful rug.

Congrats on a great accomplishment.

• Like 1

Wow congrats on a awesome lookin bear!!!!

• Like 1

Congrats on your bear!

• Like 1