Sign in to follow this  
TwoOneEight Photography

Still trying to locate Bulls for my first Elk Hunt in 6A:(

Don't even bother looking for bulls right now. Find where the cows are. That's where the bulls will be when the hunt starts. On a positive note, that double-beamed buck in your video is awesome.

• Like 9

Don't even bother looking for bulls right now. Find where the cows are. That's where the bulls will be when the hunt starts. On a positive note, that double-beamed buck in your video is awesome.

+1, look for rubs from last year's rut.
  • Like 3

Helped a buddy out in 6a 2 years ago there are plenty of elk in that unit ! He missed a nice 6 point & it has been eating at him ever since LOL.

Good luck man keep trying. PM me if you need some other pointers. Best of luck buddy.

Christian

• Like 3

i've spent a total of 4 hours archery hunting in 6A. drove into camp at 4:00 am, walked out of camp chasing bugles, called in a bull for a buddy, he shot him at 60 yards, hunt was over at 7:00 am opening day. nice 310" 6 point down. if there are cows there, there will be bulls there when the hunt starts. people get too carried away trying to locate velvet bulls before their archery hunts. look for cows. chances are, where you see the bulls won't be where they are when the hunt opens anyways. velvet bulls are fun to look at and i enjoy seeing pics of them, but a lot of the time they are just superficial sightings

• Like 6

i've spent a total of 4 hours archery hunting in 6A. drove into camp at 4:00 am, walked out of camp chasing bugles, called in a bull for a buddy, he shot him at 60 yards, hunt was over at 7:00 am opening day. nice 310" 6 point down. if there are cows there, there will be bulls there when the hunt starts. people get too carried away trying to locate velvet bulls before their archery hunts. look for cows. chances are, where you see the bulls won't be where they are when the hunt opens anyways. velvet bulls are fun to look at and i enjoy seeing pics of them, but a lot of the time they are just superficial sightings

+1
  • Like 1

I assume you put down some salt, if you are wanting more quantity of pics, put a cam on a water. If it doesn't keep raining you should have a ton of action, but don't be to surprised if it gets stolen that way either. You have to really hide it, put it up super high, lock it up, or a combination of those to avoid most human interference.

• Like 2

I assume you put down some salt, if you are wanting more quantity of pics, put a cam on a water. If it doesn't keep raining you should have a ton of action, but don't be to surprised if it gets stolen that way either. You have to really hide it, put it up super high, lock it up, or a combination of those to avoid most human interference.

I've been using the red mineral blocks . As for the tree huggin Thiefs/disrespectful hunters I've read about cameras over water :( Believe me I want to set one up on a water hole but don't want that 2 hour drive to find out it's gone . Thanks to you all for all your support as Im slowly learning how to hunt these Elk !