Sign in to follow this  
krash73

Elk processing

I have a 22N tag I plan on filling in December. :) Where is a good place to take it for processing? I have a guy in young that can do it but wanted to know what other good options I have around Payson. Also I think I will likely need to de-bone the elk to pack it out easily, do you have any tips for that?

Thanks

If it's boned out there isn't a whole lot of reason to go to the expense of paying someone to cut it into bite size pieces for you.

• Like 4

I used Ron Beuhring by the airport last year. Great work and very quick.

+1

Check out youtube and see if you can find the video by Colorado DOW. They have two crazy butchers deboning an elk or deer. I was waiting for one of them to get sliced up the way they were handling those knives. There are also good videos on the gutless method. The only thing I do differently is I open the cavity at the end to get the loins out, then again I also take the heart and liver so it has to be opened anyhow.

• Like 1

Check out youtube and see if you can find the video by Colorado DOW. They have two crazy butchers deboning an elk or deer. I was waiting for one of them to get sliced up the way they were handling those knives. There are also good videos on the gutless method. The only thing I do differently is I open the cavity at the end to get the loins out, then again I also take the heart and liver so it has to be opened anyhow.

I looked for that video and couldn't find it. You have any other thoughts or a link for these guys?

Just look up boneless method on YouTube. It will walk you right through it.

• Like 1

My bad. Colorado Parks and Wildlife called "Down to the bone" and not on youtube. Let me see if this will cut and paste.