Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Face-to-Face with a Mountain Lion

I ran up this week to get in a quick scouting trip. I've been trying very hard to curb my hunting ADHD by working on patience. This means spending a set amount of time in certain particular areas.

Early Friday morning, I was down low in an area where many trails intercross and I've been forcing myself to sit here and watch the deer and elk go by. My goal was a few hours, but almost as soon as I sat down next to a huge pine tree I heard this loud noise coming from somewhere south of me. This was a noise I've never heard before, but whatever it was kept on and on and on. I sat for 30 minutes before curiosity got the best of me and I followed the noise.

The ruckus was up above me on a ridge, but just below the knoll of a mountain. I VERY slowly started inching my way up the mountain. I could tell the animal would face different directions and make the noise, but I hadn't heard it for a few minutes. My eyes were zero'd in and scanning. Gun was unsnapped and bear mace was hanging out of my pocket with plastic safety pulled.

Then I heard it again. It was CLOSE and right above me! I froze and didn't move a muscle as I watched a mountain lion come down off the ridge in front of me and cross just below the knoll. I was smiling from ear to ear. I had just seen my first mountain lion and it was up close and personal. I was beyond thrilled.

My camera was also ready, but I didn't get a single photo because it all happened so fast and to be honest I was afraid to move. Even though she had moved off my senses were still extremely heightened and I was paying close attention to everything everywhere. If you've ever been in a similar situation, I know you understand exactly how heightened senses can be. All of a sudden from my left, I see a lion coming back toward my direction. This is the only time I felt extremely uncomfortable and this was because I couldn't tell if there was more than one lion. The thought definitely crossed my mind that maybe they were stalking me. Thankfully, and I do mean thankfully, I quickly realized it was just her pacing back and forth as she kept periodically screaming.

Now I started clicking away with the camera trying to get a picture. I never moved except my fingers that were controlling the focus ring and the shutter button. I was in 100% FULL HIDING MODE!

post-5072-0-86217100-1439672982_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-76615500-1439673303_thumb.jpg

I watched her pace back and forth calling for a mate for 15 minutes before she finally caught some type of slight movement from me because she instantly froze in her tracks and was now staring right at ME!!

post-5072-0-68080200-1439673405_thumb.jpg

For six seconds I was looking eye-to-eye with a mountain lion until she turned tail and ran. I guess I wasn't the mate she was looking for, but I thank her greatly for the experience :)

I will kill a mountain lion one day, but this was not the day. I was alone, armed with an LCP & bear mace, and she was about 30 yards from me. This is not my ideal situation to attempt a mountain lion kill, but I had a few things at my disposal if the need arose, including the tree I was standing next to.

I honestly couldn't have asked for a better first encounter, and I'm home safe and sound. I took this right after the encounter with the knoll in the background. I haven't been this happy in a long time :) :)

post-5072-0-80851700-1439673732.jpg

• Like 24

Awesome story. Thank you very much for sharing it with us. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

• Like 2

Oh my.....

I saw my first one last year during my hunting over Thanksgiving. It was about 500 yards away, and I was so excited. I cannot imagine what you experienced today. Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

That is excellent you were able have such an experience, and be able to get such good photos.

• Like 1

Wow…What a way to get a first lion experience and to document with pictures also! Congrats big time!!

• Like 1

I'm hearing it's kinda rare to witness a female lion calling for a mate. I know I'll never forget the sound. It is deeply engrained.

I've thought after the fact how nice it would be if I had taken a video with audio. Yeah right. I wasn't moving an inch.

Thanks Christina my wife is never setting foot in 6a ever again. Amazing pics

• Like 2

Super experience!

To be so close and get a spectacular photo like yours is awesome! So many people will never hear the mating call. It's so hard to duplicate too.

Just amazing. Thanks!

• Like 1