Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

Coues or Muley

creed- Ok I found a few pics that show them running away. Its not the pics I was thinking of but you can see what I'm saying.

post-4217-0-66149500-1439869675_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-74499900-1439869717_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Could I see a picture of a confirmed hybrid?

Here's a short clip of a small buck I videoed a few years ago. Jim Hefflefinger confirmed it was a hybrid.

There's a decent amount of kill photos floating around of confirmed hybrids also. I just don't want to post anything that's not mine. I work with two guys who had their bucks tested through the Dept which came back positive as well.

If you have the chance, Jim's book is a great read. There's a pretty informative section on hybrids in there. Not very common at all but once in a while even the best of us can be fooled.

Another indicator that they're a little more common than previously thought are those traditional "antlered mule deer" units turning into "any antlered deer".

But I'm FAR from an expert. I just talk to some now and then and pick their brains apart as often as possible.

• Like 1

Here is my suspect hybrid from a muley/coues area top left is the suspect doe, And another one in the making lol..... this little buck wishes.

post-8804-0-76048200-1440015848.jpg

post-8804-0-70743900-1440015854.jpg

Pixman, that probably explains why they've survived. I've read that most hybrids don't survive because they get confused about how to run, or stott. Those deer got it figured out I'd say. A buddies wife killed a confirmed hybrid. I'll see if I can't get permission to post it. Pretty much looked identical to the deer in your pics. Had a black tail tho, rather than rust colored.

ECELLENT PICS GUYS!

Tines you sure that buck didn't have a squirrel attatched to his butt? o_O that is quite a tail.

I positively pulled over down south on side of road and touched the antlers of a hybrid that was hig by a car this past ham hunt (Sherman is my witness)

ECELLENT PICS GUYS!

Tines you sure that buck didn't have a squirrel attatched to his but? o_O that is quite a tail.

I positively pulled over down south on side of road and touched the antlers of a hybrid that was hig by a car this past ham hunt (Sherman is my winess)

I know, right! When we first glassed him up, we were actually watching a mule deer buck rut some does. Then this little bucks head popped up above the rise. My first thought was "what's a Coues buck doing out here??"

After the Muley chased him off and he stood still, his tail was the first thing that threw me off. Giant, darky, bushy thing! After watching him try to run I knew something wasn't normal about this deer. I Tried to get the best footage I could. Apparently it was good enough for Jim.

Since then, I've gotten a WT doe and a decent WT buck on camera in this area too. Pretty cool.

Great pics. But Im spending too much time examining deer butts.

I am more of a rack man myself.