Sign in to follow this  
Xnt

Riflescope Mounting

So I'm watching Mr. Potterfield here and it seems as though to mount a scope properly one needs a few levels and specialized tools. I don't really want to invest in all this and would rather pay someone to mount it right the first time. I already have a set of mounts and rings on my scope but I think I may need a higher profile as I'm replacing a 40mm scope with a 44mm scope. Plus the mounts and rings are several decades old and I'm guessing newer stuff might have tighter tolerances.

How much should I expect to pay for the mounting? Any ring and base suggestions? Any good gunsmiths you recommend?
Remington 721 in .270 Winny and a Zeiss HD5 3-15x 44mm.
thanks

Most gun stores will mount scopes but only if you buy some of the components at their store. A gunsmith will do it but honest you can knock it out at home easily.

A lot of guys like the Burris Zee Rings, Leupold makes received specific mounts with dovetail fittings. If you are trying to keep it simple then DNZ makes great aluminum one piece systems that don't need to be lapped.

I personally like Talley One-Piece for 1" tube scopes. Very lightweight.

Depending on the recoil of the rifle and specific set up there will be lots of opinions to follow. If this is a general purpose rifle and not a long range or heavy hitting caliber then you won't need specialized bases (picatinny, 20moa, etc etc)

As far as the mounting goes--- You won't get exact specifications with just the small wrench provided with ring sets so it will be hard to get the recommended 20 in/lbs of torque. The key is to NOT over tighten the rings on the scope. Some blue locktite to ensure the screws stay in place you will be ok. For aligning and zeroing there is a good thread on the 'Rifle Hunting Coues' page of the forums. Some use a mirror, some use a hanging string to line up the vertical cross hair (level) and get a zero that will get them on paper before the range.

Many more experience guys will have some good advice as well.

That video was the PERFECT way to mount a scope. Many millions of scopes have been mounted without all those tools. Unless you are NOT mechanical inclined you can do yourself. Since you are nervous about it then I suggest that you ask a good mechanic/hunter to assist.

I've read that if you have high quality rings you don't need to lap the rings. If you live in the NW valley I have some levels you can borrow

Take the old scope out and lay the new one in and see if you need higher rings. What rings and bases are on there now?

Use a plumbob out far enough to make the crosshairs and plumbob clear. That will give you a perfect verticle line. And a small level either along the scews at the butpad or some place your sure is level.

If you had a one peice base you could use a small tsquare or pennies to slip between the base and the flat bottom of the turret housing to get it exact instead if all the levels.

Take the old scope out and lay the new one in and see if you need higher rings. What rings and bases are on there now?

Weaver. So old that it has the flathead screws.

• Like 1

If they make a ring for your rifle, it is hard to beat the simplicity of one piece Talley rings. I would highly suggest these rings so you don't have to mess with bases. Less pieces and less screws equals less parts to get loose and less chance of something going wrong. You can usually find them on Amazon.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Lightweight-Alloy-Scope-Mount/Remington.aspx

Weaver. So old that it has the flathead screws.

I think that is on my 788.

Ok did this, and as I suspected it doesn't fit. So I probably need new bases. I might as well get new rings, too.

I'd rather spend more to make sure this gets done right and I don't waste trips to the range or tags on hunts this fall.

Buy the rings at the store and have them mount it for you for free..

Who to see? Sportsmans Warehouse do a thorough job? Their gun counter service seems to leave something to be desired at times. :rolleyes:

Sportsman's is by far the best of the big three (Cabelas and Bass Pro). But after a couple of problems with a mounting job they did for me a few years ago, I started doing them 100% myself and haven't had a problem since. If you do have Sportman's in Meas do it, only let Tom work on it. He does a good job.