OpticNerd

Buying half a cow

Thinking about buying half a cow. Currently have a guy offering me half a cow for $6/lbs butchered and fully packaged. Is this a fair price? Any of you that are familiar with the ins and outs of buying half cow` that are willing to share some info please feel free in doing so. Thanks!

It all depends on what feed the cow was raised on....Grass. Grain. Hay. Ect....6 dollars a pound is not a bad price but only if it was grass / grain fed its whole life. Also make sure you get feed back on the meat cutter...When I was much younger ( 30 yrs ago ) I worked for a cutter that would take a good portion of the prime cuts for himself and replace it with lesser cuts of meat...

Our local butcher has family packs you can buy. So much beef, chicken and pork. It is listed what cuts you get and how many pounds of each. I think it works out to about $3.50/lb. It is a good deal. You can also buy half a beef, we did it all the time when I was growing up. It all depends on the butcher. Hoping to put two elk in the freezer this year, me and my older daughter, so I may not have much room for beef.

I think "edge" will know.

I know beef has gone up, but that's almost double what beef costs us from hoof to freezer.

We're going to have some hogs butchered soon, about $3.70 a pound including sausage.

• Like 2

I know beef has gone up, but that's almost double what beef costs us from hoof to freezer.

We're going to have some hogs butchered soon, about $3.70 a pound including sausage.

Yummmmmmm!

Yummmmmmm!

Yup, me and your buddy Mike marinated a center loin pork roast, cooked in the dutch oven. So despite the rain, it was a taste of heaven.
  • Like 1

My best friend lives in rural Idaho and raises grass fed and grass finished beef. It's more than 6 bucks per pound but the flavor is incredible. If interested, PM me. Grass finished costs more because it takes an extra year to finish them compared to grain finished. A lot healthier but doesn't have the marbling like a grain finished animal.....

Thanks for the info guys. I don't know much about the cow/cows this guy is selling. I'll have to ask him more questions about it tomorrow but sound like I might have to pass at $6/lbs. All I know right now is that he's getting it butchered somewhere in Wilcox. Thanks again!

You might consider buying a hind quarter instead of a half a cow. You get more prime cuts and not so much stew meat and hamburger