Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Mt. Ord is crazy

On Labor Day I'm heading to unit 1. But I had the itch and wanted to do some bow hunting in a bad way. Thought about 24b or 24a but at the last second lets try Ord. I haven't been up there archery season yet. I knew there will be bow hunters but there were lot more cars parked up there. Almost every other ridge had a tree stand. First thing in the morning we picked out a ridge aways from the road and set off. Beautiful morning until I had a hunter flagging me down. Well crap! Did an about face and turned the other way right up the mountain. By the time we got to the top we spotted a nice buck and found a nice shed. Sad part it was going strait to that hunters stand. I probably ruined his hunt. Went about 300 yards found a salt lick and salt. Looked right ahhh a camera. Went up to the camera and said sorry. 20 ft away was the stand. Told my brother ok let's head out. This place has a stand every ridge. It was still nice, and we chased a buck for a short time and spotted a few does. But if you want a secluded archery hunt, without hikers, runners, and the scouts on the top to hike to the towers don't head there. Sorry to the hunters for interrupting their stand hunts. Didn't know you were there :(

Exactly why I started hunting the wilderness areas. I found once you get about 2 miles away from the road you are totally isolated and rarely see anyone else (I never have). A big part of why I started hunting was so I could escape the world we live in and feel closer to my ancestors and nature (feel free to make Ted Nugent jokes now). I'm always glad to know other people are out in the field, but prefer not to see them haha.

• Like 2

Exactly why I started hunting the wilderness areas. I found once you get about 2 miles away from the road you are totally isolated and rarely see anyone else (I never have).

I concur with JP0212. The old timers used to tell me all the time, "its good to have a lot of hunters out there, it moves the deer around". Nothing wrong with that. I must admit I've even filled a tag that way back in the day. Looking forward to getting out away from the roads and the quads and the noise as well. It really bums me out when I've hiked in somewhere thinking I'm alone and minutes later a RZR rolls up on me. Lately I've experienced more enjoyment hitting it hard during the week days when things typically slow down until Friday when the toyhaulers begin rolling in again. Good luck all, shoot straight, be safe >>>---------------->

I went out today and didn't see another hunter... but then again I got out of the truck and hiked.

• Like 1

Tried sitting water Saturday. Waste of time. It was a circus where I was too. Never seen it like this before. And apparently I'm the only guy who knows about the travel management rules.

I went out today and didn't see another hunter... but then again I got out of the truck and hiked.

I even parked in an area where it's really not even a good parking spot. Looked at a ridge over a 1/4 mile and said let's go on the other side of that and start working are way out. I didn't see any hunter either. Just lots of parked trucks, camps and only hunters in tree stands 3 ridges over. So yeah I hike! Sounds like you found the right spot.