Pac8541

4 days on the Yellowstone

Great wife. She planned, financed, coordinated travel/permits/site reservations/everything for 4 days on the Yellowstone River last week for my birthday. We flew to Billings and headed 3 hrs southwest into the Park where we then hiked 5 miles into the backcountry. I fished for 3.5 days on a 1 mile stretch and saw only one other fisherman, who left 10 mins after I talked to her. I caught the biggest fish of my life and checked a few boxes in the process. Absolutely unbelievable and a trip I will NEVER forget.

This trip was relatively inexpensive for the opportunities it presented. Airfare to Billings was the most expensive part but otherwise it was completely a DIY adventure. The backcountry permit was $25 I think, and the per-night campsite fee was $3 per person, per night. The trail we hiked covered 800 vertical feet in 5 miles, virtually all of it in the last 2 miles. This stretch of the Yellowstone flows through a fairly deep canyon so the descent down to the river is moderately steep and rocky. The fishing was great. Not only did I catch more than a few really high quality fish but strikes came often and they were more than willing to put on a show, even if it was just to come up from the bottom to take a look at what I was throwing. Good surface action throughout the day; I didn't find it necessary to fish deep during the late morning/early afternoon hours. Although I didn't see any bears, OC spray is a mandatory item and one you can't fly with. I shipped ours home upon returning to Billings. Campsites were equipped either with bear poles from which to hang your food or bear boxes that locked food inside. Elevation at the river is roughly 5600' and temps this time of year were in the low 70's during the day and high 40's at night. My 12 degree bag was overkill but it sure felt good after standing in the water all day. I plan to return next summer during the golden stonefly hatch which should prove ridiculously awesome. I'm sure there are plenty of rivers in this part of the country that provide this kind of quality, or even better. But, the remote nature just 5 miles from the road turnout makes this destination incredibly valuable. My need for solitude and a disconnection from society in general makes this location a prime spot. Hope you guys enjoy the pics.

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

This is a BIG, fast moving, and deep river.

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

Yellowstone Cutties. The one below was the largest, 19" give or take half an inch.

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

Birthday morning Brookie.

FullSizeRender_3.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

Gear: Kifaru Duplex/Nomad, Scott Radian 6wt, Hatch 5+/SA Sharkwave, Scarpa Kinesis Pro, #16 Purple Cripple/Chubby Chernobyl, patient/unselfish/participating woman of 16yrs.

• Like 11

Just an amazing place. I used to live in Billings. Right off West King Ave.

The summer is when I really miss it too. Not much for cold, that's why I now live in AZ.

Glad you had a good time and got to enjoy the park. Your report and pictures bring back some of my fondest memories.

Bet your already planning a return trip?

Neat loooking river. I cross the Yellowstone over here before it hits the Missouri river and it is huge. Lottsa good fishin too, just never done it. I was surprised how wide it is . Nice stuff..............BOB!

Thanks for posting the pictures. I need to do this trip before I'm to old to do it. :)

TJ

ps....your wife is awesome!

Great pics. Looks like a fantastic trip.

Like most of us you definitely married up! Kudos to your wife.

Loving the pictures! Definitely on my list of places to visit.

Very much appreciate your comments and I've passed them along to my wife. She's cracking up! And to think this is a woman very resistant to my ideas of moving to Ridgway, CO and wants to stay in the big city... Anyway, yes it was a great trip and like I mentioned in the first post, pretty easy considering what unfolded in front of us on the trail. I would highly recommend not thinking of it as a major undertaking.

I've got another trip in the final planning stages for the end of Sept: headed back to CO for the colors and to reacquaint myself with Jesus. This one should be better than last year's fall trip as I'm going 2 weeks earlier. Gonna chase more cutties in some small creeks!

• Like 1

Just creepin back by here to stare at your pics. Thanks again for throwing them up. Good luck on your next trip.

I have camped in that same area and made that same hike quite a few times. GREAT area, tons of fish! We used to walk down river until it hit the big falls then walk the trail on the south side of the river back. Always loaded with wolf kills and a huge den at the end. Sort of creepy actually! Always caught at least four different fish species every time. Great memories! Hope you are reminiscing as fondly as me twenty years later! Great tips!!!