TonyC

Looking for advice on raising a child into a hunter

Lots of great advice here, and you're on the right track already since you're concerned and asking the questions. Keep them engaged and keep the outings about them and fun on their level...the worst thing you can do is take them out for hours of glassing or sitting in a blind or stand. Short-term is great, but remember their attention span. My kids like to go along when I'm glassing, but they don't glass much themselves...usually exploring, sometimes reading, or even shooting the bb gun. They just like being out and being with me which is what I'm hoping to keep them interested.

We go camping about once a month, so really get our kids out and get them unplugged as much as possible. Sometimes these trips turn into "hunting" trips, and we have a blast exploring and looking at tracks, scat, and other sign. My kids are pretty lucky at spotting animals too.

Don't take them hunting with the same expectations you have when you go hunting yourself...they may not be as quiet or as still as you want, and chances are you won't harvest anything. But make sure they're having fun and it will pay off in the long run.

Oh yeah +10 on getting them involved with some of the youth programs and camps. Those are a blast, and sometimes I think I have as much fun as the kids do. :D

• Like 2

I can't claim to be an expert on the subject as my first son is 10 and just turned 11. But I can proudly say that there is nothing that he would rather do than hunt and fish. Just last week we were asking the kids about things they want to do for vacations next year. We threw out lots of things like the beach, Disneyland, Sea World, etc. All he wanted to do was hunt, hunt, and hunt.

Before my son was old enough to hunt himself, I took him on several low stress/difficulty hunts and fishing trips with me.

I made sure to include lots lots of the following:

• Treating him like one of the guys, not one of the kids.
  • Lots of riding in the Polaris Ranger or ATVs. Sometimes, with help, he would even get to drive.
  • Plenty of candy, junk food, fast food, soda, etc. Let him help plan the menu, pick snacks at the store, sodas and treats at gas station stops, etc
  • Letting some of the rules slide versus if mom and siblings were around
  • Included some of his favorite activities like catching crawfish after the hunting was over
  • Making him involved (or letting him feel he is helping) with the planning, glassing, field dressing, camp set up (even learning how to use the chain saw) etc.
  • Listening to him, how he was feeling, when he was tired, etc. Going at his pace, not mine. Truth be told his pace is a bit to fast for me.

Just remember the things that you loved about hunting, fishing, camping, etc. as a kid and be sure to include those.

• Like 4

Personally, I think some of the Youth hunts are getting harder and harder to draw. I put my daughter in for general hunts for most big game now.

Both my girls have hunted since they were 10 and have completed the Hunter's Education Class. It is a great learning experience.

Let them make the decision on what their goal is. If they are happy with a doe or a cow elk, fantastic. If they want a bull or buck, spend a lot of time finding good spots to try your best to get them an opportunity to get a shot.

Girls are the best.

• Like 3

Personally, I think some of the Youth hunts are getting harder and harder to draw. I put my daughter in for general hunts for most big game now.Both my girls have hunted since they were 10 and have completed the Hunter's Education Class. It is a great learning experience.Let them make the decision on what their goal is. If they are happy with a doe or a cow elk, fantastic. If they want a bull or buck, spend a lot of time finding good spots to try your best to get them an opportunity to get a shot.Girls are the best.

I totally agree , the draw odds on youth hunts are terrible. The general has wotked well for my boys. Good luck.

• Like 1

I agree with the being successful will be a great help. After completing her hunter safety we went on a youth deer hunt did not score the first weekend but she did take a two point the following . She now has 6 of her big ten hoping to have two more by years end. It has given me a different outlook on hunting our time together spent outdoors will be memories I will cherish for ever. Good luck to you will be in for the time of your life.

• Like 1

Here is some great advice I got from one of our well known friends who had four girls and was raising his grandson. He told us that as parents we think we are going to mold and shape our children the way we want, but they come out with their own personalities. I did not know how true that was until having our two girls. I have taken both my daughters hunting. One is now 15 and the other is 11. I make it their decision and guide them but do not pressure them. My older daughter loves turkey hunting and we have gone for the past five years. She is excited to see deer and elk but I am not sure that is her thing. My younger one is more excited to go deer and elk hunting and told me she wanted a bow, which she got, to go with me during archery season. So keep them involved and get them their own gear and make sure it is about them and their fun.

• Like 1

I have a son and a daughter. My son is 13 and my daughter 17. I took them out as much as I could. Like Dug said. Make short but fun trips. I wad lucky that both of them love hunting. On the other hand my best friends who lives to hunt took his son out all of the time and wants nothing to do with hunting.

I've been taking my grandsons since they were 3 on scouting trips and turkey hunting. They love glassing, problem is they both want 15's. They are 6 and 7 now. Took them out prairie dog hunting with their BB guns, prairie dogs don't like being that close to you. Turned into a lizard hunt.post-1600-0-63292900-1440467591_thumb.jpg

Here we are glassing for bears.

post-1600-0-12682500-1440467617_thumb.jpg

Start buying them camo clothes and take them with you to look for game, have fun!

• Like 2

Great topic! Our three kids are all young adults now. Our oldest, a girl and youngest, a boy are crazy about hunting. Our middle child loves the outdoors, but decided years ago that she did not want to hunt. Here are a few things that worked for us:

1) Start young. We started taking all of our kids out when less than a month old. They started shooting a .22 at about 3yo and were pretty good with a .243 well before they were 10.

2) Raise them in an outdoor family. Glassing in the evening after work should not be a special trip but rather just a normal act.

3) Make it about them. Once they start hunting, don't apply them for your hunts, get them there own hunts and make them the focus.

4) Keep them comfortable. Good quality clothes and boots. Dress them properly for the weather.

5) Give them ownership of their hunt. Encourage them to make decisions about where to hunt, hike or glass, etc.

6) Equip them well. They don't need a pair of swaros at age 5, but a basic tripod and a $100.00 pair of binocs will go a long way.

7) Allow them to be a kid. They Wont start out glassing for hours, that's ok. Let them glass for a few minutes, then their mind will naturally wander to grass hoppers, rocks, etc.

8) Include their friends if they are interested.

9) Never push them to hunt.

This is not the magic recipe, but rather just some things that worked for us.

Here is our son at age 3 and then 15 years later as he returns from a pack in solo archery hunt.

post-2989-0-76701800-1440469928.jpg

post-2989-0-75590800-1440469959_thumb.jpg

Here is our daughter with one of her deer kills.

post-2989-0-68762200-1440471660_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone! I'm loving all the stories and advice.

10yrs old with the hunter Ed certificate for big game , small game they can start now. Squirrel is fun. Enjoy them while there young, and keep them out of that plane. Lol

Patience, kindness, etc. Dont force it.

My dad very strongly encouraged me (I won't quite say he forced me) to shoot prairie dogs as a kid. I didn't like it at all. I never hunted until my mid 30s.

I believe its the choice of the child.

I had this conversation with my 7 year old this weekend.

Leah "I don't think I'll kill an animal."

Me "OK but I think you should try it at least once before you decide."

Leah "I think I should try it 5 times before I decide."

Me "I agree. I think you should try it 5 times before you decide."

Then last night she sat for 10 minutes with me watching my daily dose of Randy Newbergs gutless method video.

Time will tell. The verdict is out on Leah but I do know she loves the outdoors.

She also said this...."I dont like camping in a camper anymore. I like sleeping in a tent or the truck."

That's a score for me :)

• Like 1

My advice is to start on really easy hunts and never push. Always end with a trip to favorite restaurant or something. I'm far from an expert but all 3 of my kids love to go with me. I never push, only ask.

Someday I will teach them about toughing it out and pushing through, but until they are late teens, I think the better the experience, the more often they will want to join me.

• Like 1

My advice is to start on really easy hunts and never push. Always end with a trip to favorite restaurant or something.

just got me so nostalgic. probably my favorite thing was getting back from predator calling with my dad before i could even carry a gun and going to smitty's by our house and getting a piece of pizza.