Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Another First Antelope - Archery

Great job! How long did you sit on water for? I can't keep still sitting!

Great job! How long did you sit on water for? I can't keep still sitting!

I had been sitting for 7 hours when they came in. It's kind of funny how sitting a blind messes up your concept of time. When I shot this buck it was almost exactly noon, AZ time - 1 PM NM time. I set up the blind the previous afternoon after watching some goats come in at first light the day before the season. My goal was to be in the blind before first light. All of my clocks were on AZ time, an hour earlier than NM time. I got up at 3:45, drove to the closest hike-in point and arrived in total darkness. It was 4:45 AM (AZ time).

I knew this water hole would have activity, but it's always a crap-shoot when you sit. Somewhere around 6:00 am ranch hand drove in - It was like 45 minutes from the time I heard him coming in until the first time I saw his truck. He got out, checked the water levels on tank up on the hill, unhooked his cattle trailer, hooked up to a water trailer, filled it up, unhooked and finally drove off - the whole process took over an hour but at least I had something to watch.

As the morning progressed, the sun got higher and it started getting really hot in the blind.

Not sure what it is about sitting a blind, but staying awake is really challenging for me. I brought my iPad, some books, but when it starts getting hot and boring, all I could do was try and grab a nap.

I might have fallen asleep, but around 10:00 AM I hear hooves and stick my head up to see what's there. At this point I've been in the blind for around 5 hours thinking nothing is coming in but a doe antelope is just on the other side of the water checking me out. I'm sure she can see me moving in the blind.

When it's 100 degrees outside, there is NO shade, you've been sitting inside a blind for hours, a little gust of wind is just like a breath from heaven. But the previous failure taught me there is no room for letting air or sunlight into a blind if you want to fool goats.

I shut the blind down to only what I can see at about 45 degrees in two directions. Start reading, texting anything to stay somewhat alert. I look up from my book to see two buck antelope that had come right under me to just out of range. They are moving around the water getting closer and closer. One of them is a stud, very wide, great diggers, the other is just OK. I start trying to range them but my rangefinder doesn't work through the mesh of the blind.

So it's now a guessing game. I'm not sure if this buck is 35 or 55 yards out. Whatever made them recognize the blind, they are now walking off. I draw, get as far as I can in the blind and put my pins on both as now it's just one body moving off and release, I hear the sound of a solid hit. I put my binocs up on the bigger buck, there's no blood or anything to indicate a hit. I look back at the smaller buck, and he is clearly stumbling. Turns out I shot the smaller one in the throat while aiming for the bigger one.

Kinda funny how I had a pretty clear 35 yard shot at a big dude, and ended up shooting a smaller buck. But the hours and minutes that lead up to it, I wouldn't trade for anything. Everything about this hunt was real. The hours driving out, trying to find a place to camp, the scouting, and finally the hours that lead up to clicking that release.

The moment out of all of the hours in the beginning and end of that hunt, was watching that goat stumble and fall and knowing I had just taken my first antelope, and it was with bow and arrow.

Guest 300ultramag.

huge congrats coach!!!! well done on one heck of an accomplishment.

I had the pleasure of chasing lope with my bow and it has since been on the top of my list...

Great archery goat, I'm sure you are pumped about that! I long to hunt speedgoats.... Someday

Congrats a great trophy