Sign in to follow this  
Younghunter

Is Camouflage Necessary

Just wondering what your guys opinions are on camouflage clothing. Also do you think upper body is more important than lower. Wesley

Depends on how you are hunting .. The closer you want to get the more beneficial camouflage becomes ... granted with wind in your favor and some stealthy stalking you can find yourself within bow range even if wearing bright neon colors ...

I'd like to say it does because I have hundreds of dollars of it. But in reality I would say any dark colored clothing that had a pattern that's broken up rather than one solid color is probably just fine. My dad laughs at me because he says him and his dad wore jeans and t shirts their whole lives and killed more stuff than I'll dream of killing. No matter what you're wearing they will see you if you're moving. I think camo is necessary for turkey hunting though because they can see much better and can see in color unlike elk and deer.

• Like 2

I think any advantage one can gain whether it be from camo or cover up scents or any other possible thing go for it certainly can't hurt

• Like 2

Bow hunting close up it helps. But if you move and they catch you it wont! Rifle hunting, not really. Jmo

I think it's a consensus that deer and elk see ultraviolet light. Your regular laundry soap/fabric softener can leave you looking like a neon sign to deer.

Might wanna asks AVGJOE. He hunts in Carthart and long sleeve shirt. Well Coues last year and late archery bull two years in a row. One more bull before that and a rut tag. Don't get me wrong I have about 5k kuiu gear and don't think it really matters. It's all a matter of opinion. Just like guys sitting in tree stand with that stupid ozone thing. To each its own. That's what makes it rewarding

• Like 1

One of these days I am going to go through all of my old magazines and find the article about camo. They tested all of the latest popular brands (about 10 years ago) and a bright Hawaiian shirt had a better pattern as far as what deer see than any of the most popular brands at the time. That said I have Sitka gear so I am right there on the bandwagon.

• Like 1

It certainly doesn't hurt you odds, but you can get close with out it. I was practically stepped on by a spike elk on June while hiking in blue jeans and white t shirt. Saw him coming, so just kept a tree between us and he walked right by me.

I wear camo so other HUNTERS don't see me and my spots. But I mostly wear brown or green pants with a camo shirt.

• Like 2

Might wanna asks AVGJOE. He hunts in Carthart and long sleeve shirt. Well Coues last year and late archery bull two years in a row. One more bull before that and a rut tag. Don't get me wrong I have about 5k kuiu gear and don't think it really matters. It's all a matter of opinion. Just like guys sitting in tree stand with that stupid ozone thing. To each its own. That's what makes it rewarding

I killed two of my bulls wearing blue wranglers. One was at 35 yds. I like wranglers and carharrt for hunting they take the thorns better and are quiter in the brush than most hunting clothing. I will admit the kuiu stuff is pretty nice though.

• Like 1