Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Does anybody NOT buy scent free products for archery hunts?

I'm quite honestly sick of spending money, time, and effort in this department.

All of my scouting this year has been done washing my camo with my regular clothes and not paying any attention whatsoever to my scent.

I seem to have done just fine getting close to a variety of animals, but the wind is my guide.

Just curious what others do.

• Like 1

I wash my camo clothes in the same stuff I wash my regular clothes. Then when I am ready to Hunt I start a little fire drop some green vegetation on it smoke my skin and clothes. Had deer both doe and buck circle me get to within 7 yards up and down wind. Can't bring myslef to spend money for scent free spray or the scent block clothes.

• Like 3

I wash my camo clothes in the same stuff I wash my regular clothes. Then when I am ready to Hunt I start a little fire drop some green vegetation on it smoke my skin and clothes. Had deer both doe and buck circle me get to within 7 yards up and down wind. Can't bring myslef to spend money for scent free spray or the scent block clothes.

^this...I hunt with guys who smoke ciggs and have success..PLay the wind and you will be fine.

Collect all of the juicy elk pies you find when you're scouting and keep them in Tupperware so they don't dry out. Then on opening day smear them all over yourself.

I am an old timer, started hunting before camo was invented. In my opinion unless you are hiding from humans, camo is a waste.

If you use the wind it does not matter how much you stink. If you don't use the wind it won't matter how much you don't stink.

• Like 2

Collect all of the juicy elk pies you find when you're scouting and keep them in Tupperware so they don't dry out. Then on opening day smear them all over yourself.

I've used animal pee from the ground many times but not a pie...lol

I've never used any of it. By the time I hike 1/4 mile I'm sweated up good and stink. Not sure anything is going to help me out there.

I think back east where they leave the garage in an electric buggy and sneak into a stand without much physical effort I could see it being productive if you cover everything to be scent free. But that's covering everything.

I have a hard time believing you can be exactly scent free especially in my style of hunting. getting coffe at circle k, chewing gum and sunflower seeds, long marches in the dark with my pack that sits in my truck all season full of who knows what anymore. Lol

• Like 2

Only scent products I use is scent killer spray... It honestly works. I backpack hunt a lot and wait till you've been in the back country for 3-5 days. You start smelling like sh*t... The spray kills body oder plain and simple. Just spray the inside of you old stinky boots as a test. Few sprays inside and they smell scent free and brand new. It's cheap and easy just spray down yourself and hunt. All the scent free clothing and systems are gimmicks... I've had many animals down wind and don't blow out. That or pick up smoking cigarettes... Seems like every person I know that smokes the animals never mind being down wind or close to them.

• Like 1

I don't use scent free clothing. But I wear clean clothes every day, and shower/wash every day too. Also, when hiking, I step in every fresh pellet I pass. I also use scent spray on my hat band and boots each evening.

I hate campfires or smoke when on a hunt. To me, and I'm probably over thinking this, but smoke smell is a smell of danger to game. From hunter's camps to forest fires. Smoke=danger.

• Like 4

animals are pretty use to the smell of natural smoke even old smoke. it seems to block out a lot of there other scents and the natives have used creosote for a long time to kill body odor and bacteria. just don't stand there and breath in the smoke yourself to much. its irritating on the lungs. manzanita is another one I like to use. anything local seems to work great. I have seen enough trail cam pics of deer feeding 20 yards from a fire burning, deer and elk stomping through my fire pits, and my buddy a forest service fireman talking about the deer they have to chase out of areas that were burning. I just used it this weekend and had deer so close to me up and down wind that I could count the ticks on there heads without glass.

I use to have a little bee smoker I'd have in the truck lost it somewhere though. I need to get another one, its a lot easer that chasing smoke around a pit.

• Like 3