Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Does anybody NOT buy scent free products for archery hunts?

About 6 weeks before the hunt I stop eating everything but corn. I eat fresh corn, boiled corn, grilled corn, corn meal, you name it...corn and only corn. All I drink is water and corn syrup. On opening day I get out early, long before first light, and take a big dump. Then I pee everywhere, and the animals come running in.

Just kidding. You can never be scent free. Save your money and skip all the expensive products. Spend a couple dollars on wind powder, and use it as a guide at all times.

• Like 7

Scent "killer" products do work to a point. Obviously, they only reduce scent. Exhaled air is always present. Bacteria cultures in your pits, groin etc. begin multiplying as soon as you get out of the shower.

Beyond keeping a favorable wind, I've done a few things over the years to reduce my scent profile.

1) Clean clothes and a clean body as much as is practicable.

2) Scent killer pump spray (commercial or homemade)

3) "Tea", I'll take the dominant plant (pine, juniper, spruce), pick needles, leaves or whatever. Make a tea out of it. Put the tea in a pump squirt bottle. Squirt myself, pack, bow, boots, etc. with the tea.

4) When I get tight into game, I will sometimes pick some grass & chew it thinking it could reduce my breath odor.

• Like 2

If you want to get Randy Ulmer level obsessive about it all, here is part of what he does:

• I limit the amount of animal products I eat for a month leading up to the hunt and during the hunt. I use scent-free soap and then apply Scent Shield hair and body deodorant gel to all parts of my body.
  • I carry approximately ten pairs of clean running shoes with me and put a new pair on every day (a great deal of your odor comes from your feet). I put baking soda in each of my shoes before I put them on. When I buy shoes, I get 100% synthetic shoes (no leather). You can wash these synthetic shoes over and over and they’ll never shrink.
  • I take chlorophyll tablets each day for a few weeks leading up to the hunt and then each morning during the hunt.
  • I brush and floss my teeth with baking soda at least twice a day.
  • I rarely wear a belt, but if I do, I never wear the same belt for more than a day without washing it.
  • I rarely carry a pack, but if I do, I change it out or wash it if it gets sweaty (I take 3-4 packs with me on a hunt).
  • http://westernhunter.net/blogs/news/34290753-randy-ulmer-high-level-scent-elimination

I don't use scent free clothing. But I wear clean clothes every day, and shower/wash every day too. Also, when hiking, I step in every fresh pellet I pass. I also use scent spray on my hat band and boots each evening.

I hate campfires or smoke when on a hunt. To me, and I'm probably over thinking this, but smoke smell is a smell of danger to game. From hunter's camps to forest fires. Smoke=danger.

You watched too much Bambi growing up...lol...jk

Smoke is carbon...just like charcoal...guess what makes great scent eliminator?

I've always wondered about smoke and always avoided campfires during hunts well plus I'm always exhausted come night time.

I like the "tea" spray idea with plants taken from where you're hunting.

Ive tried those tablets years back. I didn't see a difference.

Lots of good info here. Thank you :)

Once in awhile I'll find a smelly plant/weed and rub my clothes with it.

<p>

If you want to get Randy Ulmer level obsessive about it all, here is part of what he does:

• I limit the amount of animal products I eat for a month leading up to the hunt and during the hunt. I use scent-free soap and then apply Scent Shield hair and body deodorant gel to all parts of my body.
  • I carry approximately ten pairs of clean running shoes with me and put a new pair on every day (a great deal of your odor comes from your feet). I put baking soda in each of my shoes before I put them on. When I buy shoes, I get 100% synthetic shoes (no leather). You can wash these synthetic shoes over and over and theyll never shrink.
  • I take chlorophyll tablets each day for a few weeks leading up to the hunt and then each morning during the hunt.
  • I rarely wear a belt, but if I do, I never wear the same belt for more than a day without washing it.
  • I rarely carry a pack, but if I do, I change it out or wash it if it gets sweaty (I take 3-4 packs with me on a hunt).
  • http://westernhunter.net/blogs/news/34290753-randy-ulmer-high-level-scent-elimination

Chlorophyll!?! More like borophyll!!

• Like 5

There you go overthinking things....again! Just keep the wind in your face, your mama in a runnin car, and your x in a different unit. PM expected. ;p

I like over thinking hunting. It's about all that I'm thinking about right now and believe I'm obsessed :) Bear with me Johnnie. I'll be better soon.

And to think I have a zillion more questions in my head just waiting for answers.

I make my own scent killer that works great and is a fraction of the cost of the store bought kind and it works as well if not better. My wife makes our laundry soap and gets 10 gallons for less than one bottle of store bought detergent. It's all very easy to do and works great and is good on sensitive skin.

I have a few archery kills under my belt and everyone, with the exception of one, were under 25yrds. Most of them were actually under 15yrds and I credit it to washing my cloths in baking soda. Have I ever been busted, more times than I would like to admit, but I strongly believe in baking soda. No matter what product you use like everyone else has said, the wind is your best friend as long as you're on the right side of it. I also rub any vegetation that might be in the area all over my cloths as I walk during the day and I step in lots of elk poop as well. My last 5 elk have been shot at 13yrds and they hadn't a clue I was there. :)

Good luck on your hunt Christina.

<p>

• I carry approximately ten pairs of clean running shoes with me and put a new pair on every day (a great deal of your odor comes from your feet). I put baking soda in each of my shoes before I put them on. When I buy shoes, I get 100% synthetic shoes (no leather). You can wash these synthetic shoes over and over and theyll never shrink.

Chlorophyll!?! More like borophyll!!

LOL

66a23367bc0ed1846a528fa7a51af37b.jpg

I've always wondered about smoke and always avoided campfires during hunts well plus I'm always exhausted come night time.

I like the "tea" spray idea with plants taken from where you're hunting.

Ive tried those tablets years back. I didn't see a difference.

Lots of good info here. Thank you :)

Once in awhile I'll find a smelly plant/weed and rub my clothes with it.

Deer actually like burned areas. They love to feed on the tender new growth. So get that camp fire started!

Just wash your camo in unscented detergent "free & clear". No need to buy the scent eliminator stuff.

This is what I wash any of my hunting clothes with.

Thanks for the tip on the smoke. Never even thought of it. Will put it to use one day.

I dont get to crazy but I wash clothes in scent free detergent, use scent free deodorant and keep some scent free body wipes in my pack. Along with that I do the plant and poop rub like others here.

All that probably does me no good, but it doesn't hurt either.